REALLY stuck on fork seals.

• epiphalactic
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Feb 2022 14:11 - 05 Feb 2022 14:13 #861843 by epiphalactic
REALLY stuck on fork seals. was created by epiphalactic
Going through the forks to my 77 kz650 that has been sitting since '92. 
Everything has come out okay, but the fork seals are basically bonded to the metal. 
I tried heating I've tried chilling I've tried scraping pliers picks wire brushes xacto knives. I've replaced fork seals a couple times in my other bikes, but this is getting ridiculous.  
The only thing I'm accomplishing is damaging the tube and seat.  They aren't past the ability for some buffing and polishing and a new set of seals being enough, but I can NOT get these things off.  They just break apart.  
before I spend 8 hours per tube just picking them off molecule by molecule, or just saying screw it and buying a couple forks, wondered if anyone knows of a solvent that will dissolve them, or maybe a trick.  
​​​​​​Also, the upper tube has a little pitting.   Most of it is above where the tubes slide into eachother, but there is a little that goes into the lower tube when the forks are compressed.  Spent some time with some copper brillo, and some fine steel wool, and got it in decent shape, but wondered if there was a fix for this.  It mostly seems to be just through the chrome.   I'm not big on the chrome, and planned to cover the upper tubes with a boot anyway, but wondered what people do in this case, and if I should expect some very minor pitting to effect anything?  Maybe there is a paint that people use that will fill in these little pits that I can send smooth?  
the other tube has a light dent in it, and it is within the travel, but for the most part sits inside of the tube probably below the seal, it does look like it was the seal seat that did it. 
 I guess I will need to put it on a straight edge and make sure the entire tube isn't bent, but.   May have to replace that upper tube.  Wondering if there is a fix for these things or if I should just get a better set?  Maybe (dumb question probably) some sort of epoxy to cover the dent it's it's otherwise good?   
  • Last edit: 05 Feb 2022 14:13 by epiphalactic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    05 Feb 2022 14:47 #861845 by 750 R1
    Replied by 750 R1 on topic REALLY stuck on fork seals.
    Any pitting on the forks where they go through the seals and they'll leak. A dent tat size on the fork legs would probably mean that tube is bent, unless someone belted it with something.
    I would probably be looking for either another set of second hand forks or replace the tubes, I wouldn't use the dented one for sure.....

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    05 Feb 2022 15:34 #861849 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic REALLY stuck on fork seals.
    I've never had a problem pulling a fork seal when I used heat and the proper tool.

Those fork tubes are trashed.  Buy a new set from Z1E for $100 or thereabouts.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• epiphalactic
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    05 Feb 2022 16:39 #861851 by epiphalactic
    Replied by epiphalactic on topic REALLY stuck on fork seals.
    Yeah that's what I thought, I put it up against a straight edge and it doesn't look bent from what I can tell, but yeah that dent ain't good. 

• epiphalactic
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    05 Feb 2022 16:41 #861852 by epiphalactic
    Neither have i.  It's like they've bonded to the aluminum.  I'll spend a little time  picking at them, but part of me is thinking it might just be easier to buy a new set of forks.  
    If I have to buy the tubes anyways, maybe I can get somebody on eBay to give me some really close up pictures of the tubes and go ahead and order a used set

• epiphalactic
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    05 Feb 2022 17:22 #861854 by epiphalactic
    I found a few sets that look pretty decent on ebay, is there anything I should be looking for here? What years and models are compatible? 
    Pretty much any 77 KZ650 forks should work, correct?  

What other years and do 750 or 900 etc work?  I'd assume they'd be a little beefier, but just wanting to know what I need to look for. 

More
    05 Feb 2022 18:04 - 05 Feb 2022 18:06 #861856 by Mikaw
    Replied by Mikaw on topic REALLY stuck on fork seals.
    I’m sure the seal will come out. At worst and not my first choice but you can drive a punch between the seal and the lower. Pry the seal away from the outer wall it will pull the rest of the seal away from the sides. If you mark gouge up the side wall of the lower use some RTV black around the outer perimeter of the new seal. Have you tried a seal removal tool… they work similar in it pulls the sides of the seal toward the middle.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
    1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
    1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
    1980 KZ 750 E1
    Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
    Jimi Hendrix.
  • Last edit: 05 Feb 2022 18:06 by Mikaw.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: epiphalactic

• hardrockminer
    • Sustaining Member
    More
    05 Feb 2022 18:09 #861857 by hardrockminer
    Replied by hardrockminer on topic REALLY stuck on fork seals.
    I didn't realize it was for a 650.  You need to be careful that the total length is the same.   As an example, a Z1 has longer lowers and shorter tubes but is the same length overall. 

I have a set of 650 forks.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• DOHC
    • Sustaining Member
    • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
    More
    05 Feb 2022 19:44 - 05 Feb 2022 19:44 #861858 by DOHC
    Replied by DOHC on topic REALLY stuck on fork seals.

epiphalactic post=861843
    Everything has come out okay, but the fork seals are basically bonded to the metal. 
    I tried heating I've tried chilling I've tried scraping pliers picks wire brushes xacto knives. I've replaced fork seals a couple times in my other bikes, but this is getting ridiculous.  

I had the same issue with my '79 KZ650.  What I found was that the fork seals are made of rubber that is bonded to a steel ring, and that steel ring was really really stuck.  The aftermarket seals were not made the same way.  They were flexible with a spring inside. 

In any case, if your seals are like the ones in my KZ650, just tugging on the rubber parts of the seal is never going to get that steel ring to move.  You need a lot of force to move it.

I would give the seal puller tool that Mikaw mentioned a try.  It is made for this purpose and could work.

However, if I were going to do that job today I would find a slide hammer style inner bearing puller with the right diameter attachment. 

Something like this:   www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Bearing-Ex...emoval/dp/B07BNMB42N

I rented/borrowed a similar tool from Autozone.  They loan stuff out for free (with a deposit).  Other big auto parts chains may do something similar.

A note about KZ650 forks.  The single-disk and double-disk models have different fork lowers.  The location of the caliper mounting points are moved slightly lower on the double-disk models.  

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
    My dad's '74 Z1
    '00 ZRX1100
    Last edit: 05 Feb 2022 19:44 by DOHC.

• epiphalactic
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    06 Feb 2022 12:42 #861890 by epiphalactic
    I actually have one of those, and it was not coming out.

I tried that punch, and that worked. Good idea thank you. 
    The seals when I pulled them out a big chunk of It came out, which I thought had the metal ring in it but I did not realize that this ring was so big. On the other fork seals I've done it was not like that LOL. 
    So I thought this little metal ridge in here was part of the fork. So I was afraid to go ham on it but .
    I got it out now
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

• epiphalactic
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    06 Feb 2022 12:46 - 06 Feb 2022 12:48 #861891 by epiphalactic
    So that's exactly what was happening,
    I pulled a piece of the ring out at the beginning that I thought was the only metal inside of the ring. On other fork seals I had done there was not such a large metal part

So as I was pulling it out I was thinking that the metal ring that I was uncovering was actually part of the fork so I was afraid to go to Ham on it

Anyways I have a seal puller tool, which is what I used to get the rest of it out, at first, and I was just not getting a good purchase on it and was afraid I would damage the lip of the tubes with how hard I had to pry so I just used a punch like mikaw said. I just hammered on one side and moved in a little bit until I was able to get a bend in it then I grabbed it with some pliers and they popped right out. Problem solved. 

Last edit: 06 Feb 2022 12:48 by epiphalactic.

• epiphalactic
    • Topic Author
    • User
    More
    06 Feb 2022 12:55 #861893 by epiphalactic
    So if I were to just get the forks from a dual model, will those just bolt right up? Obviously I would have obviously have to get the other disc, correct? But if I wanted to convert over to the dual disc model, it would just be essentially bolting it on? 

​​​​​​