Petrified Exhaust Pipe Gaskets

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Jan 2022 10:55 #861467 by McThing
Petrified Exhaust Pipe Gaskets was created by McThing
Hi all,

Anybody know the “right” way to remove the four ancient tubular exhaust gaskets between the 2 & 3 header pipes and the crossover pipe assembly and between the pipe assembly and the mufflers?

I dropped the whole system the other day and the old, probably original, gaskets are pretty much fossilized. I’ve gone at them with chisels, a flat edged screwdriver, and a utility knife and made some progress but I don’t want to get too aggressive and start deforming or seriously scratching anything. Some of it is on there pretty good and I don’t think I will be able to even catch an edge without getting close to the whacking too hard. It’s particularly challenging on the pipes where the gasket fused on the ID. 

All the best,
B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Baltimore, Maryland - USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
30 Jan 2022 11:30 #861471 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Petrified Exhaust Pipe Gaskets
Wire wheel  

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Jan 2022 12:07 #861478 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Petrified Exhaust Pipe Gaskets
I think those gaskets have steel mesh in them.  A dremel cutoff wheel should hack through easily enough.  There may be asbestos in them, so try not to breathe the dust.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing