Looking for the right tool - air pressure gauge

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Jan 2022 09:38 #861182 by McThing
Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good air pressure gauge to check my suspension (KZ750N2)? The service manual says “Do not use a tire gauge for checking air pressure” and I’m not in possession of anything much more accurate, yet.

Thanks
B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Baltimore, Maryland - USA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
27 Jan 2022 11:07 - 27 Jan 2022 11:17 #861185 by DOHC
My guess is that they are suggesting you use a gauge with a much smaller range than a typical tire gauge
That is, a gauge that reads 0-120psi probably is hard to read and has poor accuracy at very low pressures.

Maybe something like this?

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0057UJZSG

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 27 Jan 2022 11:17 by DOHC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McThing

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
27 Jan 2022 12:13 #861187 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Looking for the right tool - air pressure gauge
I dont know if other companies do , but  Harley Davidson  sells a small  handpump with a built in gauge   to adjust there air shocks. 
 Good little unit   . Shock companies  will tell you NOT to use a air compressor as it is to easy to exceed the  recommended  pressures and blow out a seal / bladder....
Seems like I ran about 15 or 20 pounds in my shocks depending on the load 

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
27 Jan 2022 15:54 - 27 Jan 2022 15:56 #861192 by TexasKZ
Auto parts and tractor supply stores typically carry low pressure gauges. I bought one several years ago at Auto Zone. It has a 0 to 20 psi scale.

Also, you do not want to use a high pressure compressor (like at gas stations) to fill your forks or shocks. A small hand pump is best. They can be bought at any decent bicycle shop.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 27 Jan 2022 15:56 by TexasKZ.

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Jan 2022 16:54 #861193 by McThing
Excellent feedback. Thank you all so much. 

That tip about using a hand pump is genius. 

All the best - B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Jan 2022 16:56 #861194 by Nessism
Better solution...ditch the air fork.  Get sonic springs.  Done.

Buying new rear shocks, decent ones, are more expensive though.  If your stockers are tired it's a good excuse to spend some money.  

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Jan 2022 17:59 #861204 by McThing
Ha!

Seems I am not going to need much of an excuse to spend money on this bike.

Bought it this summer for a reasonable price; just to get some wheels under me after a long spell without riding. I added 3k to the (questionable) odometer and just finally brought it in to the basement for a proper go over. Well, at least as proper as I am knowledgeable and equipped to do, which means I’ve never cracked a block or rebuilt a carburetor and I don’t have a lot more than a good set of sockets and wrenches.

Anyway, after a good day of tearing into her, my shopping list is almost to what I paid for originally, which, to be honest, would still total less than half of a new bike all together, and I do like this machine but I’m just afraid of not knowing what I don’t know, if you know what I mean.

So, for now, the plan is to replace the rear air suspension with something, probably the Ikons or similar, if I can find something quality in all black, and keep the original air forks. I’m looking at needing new coils and plug wires, tires, brakes pads & lines, tailpipes (after rebuilding & repainting the exhaust), valve cover and oil pan gaskets, and a slew of other little projects to make it nice AND safe.

Oh, and I have to sort out why cylinder 4 isn’t firing (coils?), but that’s for another post. Step by step. Today I have a bead on checking and maintaining the forks! :-)

Thanks -B

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre

• McThing
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Jan 2022 18:13 #861205 by McThing
Here’s how she looks at the moment.

1983 KZ750N2 Spectre
Attachments: