Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 06 Nov 2021 07:21 #857499

• crusierlover
  • crusierlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I know i can loosen triple clamps on forks and slide down about 3/4 inch.not sure how decrased rake effects handling. Possible i can fabricate some sort of tab to slightly make rear shocks more horizontal or install 11 inch shocks.which makes bike stand more upright.personally i think stock it leans over too far. I aint messing with the seat. The stock seat is 31 inches. I need 29 or 30. Input appreciated.i figure shocks are $125.
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 06 Nov 2021 07:48 #857500

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2659
Be careful that your lowering mods don't result in the tires slamming hard parts before the suspension bottoms.  

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 06 Nov 2021 09:18 #857504

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

personally i think stock it leans over too far. 

What problem are you trying to solve?  This statement I quoted makes it sound like you have an issue with the kick stand?  But your comment about the seat maybe suggests you want a low seat height?  I'm not sure.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 06 Nov 2021 09:41 #857506

• TexasKZ
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
Aren’t the factory shocks just over 13 inches from center to center of the eyes? If so, 11 inch shocks may be too short. If the rear suspension bottoms out over a bump with really short shocks, the rear tire will slam against the inner fender, greatly increasing the chance of a complete loss of control, and a crash. 
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 06 Nov 2021 16:11 #857533

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

personally i think stock it leans over too far. 

What problem are you trying to solve?  This statement I quoted makes it sound like you have an issue with the kick stand?  But your comment about the seat maybe suggests you want a low seat height?  I'm not sure.
If your bike "leans over too far" its a side stand issue, well known on these old Kawasaki's. I've just removed my side stand mount so I can turn it downward a bit and  reweld it in place, i'm fitting a GPZ1100 stand as its about an inch longer too, this is on a 1982 GPZ750 that leaned over way too far....  The 1100 stand is also beefier so it should resist bending like my 750 stand did...  My sons Z650 also leans over too far but he just uses a block of wood under the stand...

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 07 Nov 2021 05:59 #857563

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
My csr is virtually identical to the 82 model. With the motorcycle on the center stand, the side stand stop is about 11" above the garage floor, give or take 1/16.  If your mount is bent, then it's probably more than that. I didn't try measuring w the motorcycle on the side stand but can get that if needed.  With the motorcycle leaning over I guess you could also measure from the center of the shifter shaft to the floor.

ps: my former neighbor had the same motorcycle.  both of the stands were messed up.  the motorcycle leaned too far & was difficult to put on the center stand.  I don't recall how he rectified those problems, but I think he did some welding.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 07 Nov 2021 10:22 #857583

• crusierlover
  • crusierlover's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
Well now i know i wasnt imagiining it. I guess i will leave the shocks and forks alone. But i sure got to fix that kickstand.
Proud owner of 1982 650csr again soon. keeping it this time

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 01 Jan 2022 22:24 #859943

• jkress
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i've got same bike, 81 year.  yes, it leans far too left on the kickstand but I think that's rectifiable by changing or modifying the kickstand mount, etc.
not sure why you'd lower the seat, it's pretty low now.
curious what else you think about doing. i'd like to compare notes for sure.

Lowering 82 650csr 1 inch 11 Mar 2022 06:44 #863580

• Ian_B
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Reading your first post, you seem to have 2 things that you want to fix:
     - Bike leans too far over when on the side stand
     - Saddle is too high

It almost sounds as if someone has modified the stance previously (raised the bike up). It would account for both problems. If this is the case, return the bike to stock, see how far that gets you. If not:

I'd separate the 2 issues. First, sort out the saddle height problem. Usual ways are indeed move the forks in the clamps, remount or fit shorter rear shocks, and modify the saddle. The only one that won't affect handling or cornering lean clearance is modifying the saddle. As well as fitting a lower (thinner) saddle, reducing the width helps a lot (I'm guessing it's a leg length issue).
Shorter front fork springs and rear shock springs might help. If they're a higher spring rate, the suspension shouldn't bottom out. But tricky to get right.

Once you have the ride height as you want, then fix the side stand. It's either too short or at too flat an angle. Presumably it was ok when it left the factory, so try to find out what changed - bent bracket on the frame, worn pivot, bent side stand leg. There's only so many things it can be.

Ian

• Page: