Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

front brake hose interchange 01 Sep 2021 21:17 #854712

• Ekacpuc
  • Ekacpuc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Do the ends change between the years for the mastercylinder and lower brake hoses? An example is a KZ650d seems to use a single disc up front and the forks are a bit shorter than my 81 KZ650H does, so I'm wondering if I can purchase the D lower hose for my H model since I shimmed/lowered the forks internally.

Also curious if the master cyl hose to block (or whatever it's called on the fork) from the D will interchange over to the H since I also don't have the cruiser handlebars anymore..

Lastly what is the ends of said brake lines called for a 1981 KZ650H (CSR)? I'm new to motorcycles (at least going the in depth) and banjo fittings so if I was to just order a custom length hose I don't know what size/pitch to call the ends..

I'll likely have odd interchange questions throughout my build. My 81 KZ650H was stolen and I got MOST of it back. Not into cruisers, there's no selection here for bikes (would have liked a older KZ but live on a remote island in SE alaska) so I'm installing sportier bars, shimmed the forks to lower them (also firmed it up since I haven't cut springs) and will tinker with other things here and there... 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

front brake hose interchange 02 Sep 2021 06:10 #854732

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Howdy.  Banjo fittings & banjo bolts are kind of universal for KZs (10mm).  The block at the forks is the brake joint or brake line joint.   For any brake line figure out the needed length beforehand; then verify the length of the donor brake line. maybe the 650D will work, maybe not, but I would not install used.  I went with Goodridge brake lines & fittings from Z1Ent, but there are other options.  CycleBrakes.com has complete Gaffer brake lines w the banjo fittings already crimped on.  With Goodridge you have to install the fittings, but it's no big deal, easy.

If the forks seem too firm from the extra preload, you could swap out the top fork spacers with shorter homemade spacers. 
3/4" pvc pipe is the same outside diameter (~25mm O.D.)   ps:  I have the same motorcycle.

Banjo fitting. connects to brake line (the stock banjo fittings are crimped onto the lines). 
www.z1enterprises.com/brake-hose-10mm-st...50-H1+650+CSR%2F1981
Banjo bolt.  as the name implies, it looks like a bolt. aka oil bolt.
www.z1enterprises.com/brake-hose-10mmx10...50-H1+650+CSR%2F1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: