Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Headlight brackets 01 Jul 2021 21:58 #851074

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys. I'm not sure if this topic belongs here or the electrical since it does involve headlight. anyway, here it goes.

I need some idea of what can be done. Involving welding is OK too. If it's too difficult for me to do, I can always send it out to my friend. But I prefer simpler one.

My headlight brackets are too far gone. This left one is in better shape, but my right is far worse. I been searching evilbay for the pair, or even one side of it for about 3 years now. For now, I'm going to hammer it to make it straight enough to fit my headlight. But if I can, I want a straight bracket but at the moment, can't find any.

Anybody have any good idea what to do?
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Headlight brackets 02 Jul 2021 17:58 #851140

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 372
What about getting a set of aftermarket headlight supports?
I thought about getting a set, as I'm still waiting on my fairing to get painted.
Z1Enterprises or one of it's sister companies must have a set.

$16:

Lightweight Chrome "Dimpled" Headlight Mounting Brackets - (Fits: 29-35mm Forks) | Kawasaki and Suzuki Motorcycle Parts | Z1 Enterprises

Medium Weight Chrome Headlight Mounting Brackets - (Fits: 28-38mm Forks) | Kawasaki and Suzuki Motorcycle Parts | Z1 Enterprises

Fork Cover (headlight ear) Z1/KZ900 LH & LR Pair (z1enterprises.com)

Stock copies? $55

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Last edit: by rstnick.

Headlight brackets 02 Jul 2021 23:03 #851148

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
I bought this pair when I was going to do round headlight conversion, but due to many reason, I gave up on that idea and will go stock rectangular headlight.

As you can see, the stock brackets extend out to accommodate the rectangular headlight, but the aftermarket bracket is straight from the fork. I even tried on the fork to see if I can make some kind of extension, or something but the headlight is way too wide.

Found one in decent shape but it's for KZ550 and it's from Germany. About 75 USD shipped, but not too sure of the inner diameter. If I can't find any, I was gonna cut the extended part and weld it on to my bracket, but still searching for the right one.

Should've never let that friend(s) ride my bike when I was younger..................
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
Attachments:

Headlight brackets 03 Jul 2021 07:14 #851163

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

the aftermarket bracket is straight from the fork.

I think you could make those machined parts work.  The flat mounting ear is a separate piece from the mounting ring.  With some standoff cylinders and longer bolts, you could space the ears away from the mounting rings and end up with whatever width you'd like.  It may not look super pretty, but it should work until you find something better.

www.mcmaster.com/standoffs/aluminum-unthreaded-spacers/
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

Last edit: by DOHC.

Headlight brackets 03 Jul 2021 17:31 #851214

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member

the aftermarket bracket is straight from the fork.

I think you could make those machined parts work.  The flat mounting ear is a separate piece from the mounting ring.  With some standoff cylinders and longer bolts, you could space the ears away from the mounting rings and end up with whatever width you'd like.  It may not look super pretty, but it should work until you find something better.

www.mcmaster.com/standoffs/aluminum-unthreaded-spacers/

Thanks for the input. Yes, I thought about that as well, but it needs about inch or so, if not longer, on both side. I was more worried about vibration and fork movements than looking ugly. Since it's gonna be mounted on the fork, I don't want the headlight or the mount to get loose.

Thinking of making just the bracket part of it  from sheetmetal (or something little more thick) and weld it on. But I'm still searching. Not in any rush at the moment. I still need to work on tires and wheels first (to get it mounted and put it back on the bike so I can work on my seat rail section).

Headlight brackets 04 Jul 2021 15:45 #851279

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Just use a round headlight.....

Headlight brackets 04 Jul 2021 19:59 #851295

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
I'm leaning toward that idea. But I manage to find couple on evilbay. Found few of them in chrome.

I know it's probably best to dechrome them, but that will run up the budget. Can I sandblast that thing and paint it?

Headlight brackets 04 Jul 2021 20:39 #851296

• ErlingW
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Headlight ears, are about the easiest things to make Yourself. I cut a 6 mm steel piece from a plate - shaped it into the inside of the ear, and rounded the edges a little. Then, I clamped sheet metal of correct thickness onto it - and started knocking the edge over the "template. Trimmed away what was exessive material, and welded to two new tubes I also had made.
No, I don't own a fancy workshop. An angle grinder, a hammer, some clamps, an old MIG welder and a small anvil were my tools.
The ears, now look exactly like the original ones, and no one could tell I made them myself.

ErlingW in Oslo, Norway

Headlight brackets 04 Jul 2021 23:57 #851300

• 750 R1
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThere's reproductions ones around, I've bought 2 of these...   I'm sure you can funds them in the USA  .

Bike bandit      www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/ele...ght-assembly/p/47325

Last edit: by 750 R1.

Headlight brackets 05 Jul 2021 00:05 #851301

• 750 R1
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

There's reproductions ones around, I've bought 2 of these...   I'm sure you can funds them in the USA  .    PS  the bottom link is in the US...

Bike bandit      www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/ele...ght-assembly/p/47325

Headlight brackets 06 Jul 2021 02:07 #851363

• scubaanders
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 233
I do have a pair that I can part from or when I wanted to keep the square headlight I hammered them out from a 2mm alu sheet.
/A
Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91

Headlight brackets 06 Jul 2021 14:43 #851410

• d4rkmatter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
If you're feeling adventurous and/or have access to the necessary tools you can 3D print some, that's the route I took.

Used ABS and haven't had any issues. Plus you can throw cool looking geometry into the mix.

• Page: