Which KZ are these front forks from

More
04 Apr 2021 18:47 #846173 by gregzim
Which KZ are these front forks from was created by gregzim
Hi
First a bit of a fun story for you.  I have an 82 KZ1100 spectre - well that;s how it started off life as when I bought it as a dump originally on ebay for $400. I bought it to rebuild it and  customize it, the big surprise of all was under all the cracked and broken side engine plates - when I completely disassembled the top end to look at the conditions of the piston bores was that the engine was brand new.!! (Obviously the guy who originally bought it new rode it about 10k, crashed it and it stayed in the back of a shed until 2015 when I bought it and shipped it to Oz !) - so now its got from the original the engine, carbs, rear mechanicls end etc. except I shortened the rear of the frame and its now got a duck tail and a shortened seat - but I dumped everything front of the fuel tank. Its now has instread, -  new billet aluminum triple trees, 1976 gauges, 76 front wire wheel and re designed front wheel axle and an extra brake disk all added. I  think the hardest challenge of all was matching a front 76 wireloom to an 82 wireloom perfectly  which took some months of multiple loom diagram studying etc. (in fact the leading classic bike motorcycle electrician said to me - what are you some sort of electrical designer to achieve that :) ) Believe me - I was as surprised as he was when I first tried to start the bike and it all worked but then had to ride down to him to get a new battery. It looks great. But - 
At one point I purchased a set of front forks same diameter as original, same length etc. but with air valves controlling each on the top and all in aluminum/chrome unlike the ugly originals which I turfed. And now they don't hold their pressure.They do not have a crossover between them.  So - 

My 3 questions are please:-  Images attached of forks (and bike FYI) 
1. In these forks - other than a leaking valve is there anywhere else on the forks that could leak pressure? ( I am sure there is but need too know to buy the parts/kit ) and 
2. What KZ are these originally from? (I originally bought them off ebay in the USA and "think" may be 81 KZ1000) 

3. Given they are same diametre.length and front axle hole diameters as the 82 sprectre - what models shared the same forks in various configurations? 

Thanks kzrider knowledge base members :) 

Greg

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2021 18:51 #846174 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Which KZ are these front forks from
Try pictures again, they didn’t load

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
04 Apr 2021 23:09 #846178 by 750 R1
Replied by 750 R1 on topic Which KZ are these front forks from
My sons 1981 650 has similar forks to what you described, {your pics didn't work}, so something form around that time frame sounds about right, My 82 GPZ750 had the crossover pipe above the bottom triple clamp, so I suspect 82 was the year they changed. In my limited experience, the air usually leaks out of the fork seals, the air caps are usually pretty safe for leaks. If you prefer you can add spacers to the springs and eliminate the air completely, we are about to do this on my sons bike using my 1982 forks...