Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

All Balls Sealed Wheel Bearings & Tapered Steering Head Bearings vs OEM-KZ1000J3 16 Jan 2021 10:19 #841801

• Vintage3
  • Vintage3's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Guys,
Just wondering on a bike that is 99% OEM, great shape, does not get a lot of use and is never ridden in the rain whether you would go OEM on wheel bearings which according to Kawi need to be greased every couple of years or go with the All Balls pre-greased closed bearings/seal kit or equivalent aftermarket? Preference is OEM but to grease every couple of years I am not sure is necessary understanding the little use this bike gets (up to 300km/year) and it never sees rain. I also would not do this work (to be done in a shop) and need a practical solution for the long term (cost, time and I recognize every time some else touches your bike something can happen :( ). On the All Balls also I am hearing mixed reviews - some say they are good with no issues, some not so much.

For the steering head bearings, I understand it is best to go with the tampered aftermarket ones as opposed to the OEM ball bearings for durability and performance. I am good with this especially because the replacement is time consuming, costly and very intrusive to the bike and shit can happen. Are the All Balls good for this use?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Vintage3.

All Balls Sealed Wheel Bearings & Tapered Steering Head Bearings vs OEM-KZ1000J3 16 Jan 2021 10:26 #841802

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
All Balls is fine by me. I suspect the OEM bearings are better overall but bearings typically fail due to things like water ingestion or lack of maintenance so the small differences shouldn't matter unless you are going to rack up huge miles and always keep on top of maintenance.

All Balls Sealed Wheel Bearings & Tapered Steering Head Bearings vs OEM-KZ1000J3 16 Jan 2021 11:57 #841815

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I installed All- Balls tapered roller bearings in the steering stem of my 1977 KZ650-C1 13 years ago and they are FAR better than the stock ball bearings ever were. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Page: