Ignition lock replacement

More
22 Nov 2020 21:44 - 23 Nov 2020 01:26 #838756 by MartyZ1000
Ignition lock replacement was created by MartyZ1000
I had my 1983 KZ1000 J3 stolen in Stockholm, Sweden where I live at the end of June.

I filed a police report and even got the money from the Insurance Company and thought
I´d never see my dear bike again, even got an Suziki TL1000S to replace it. Then two months
later it was found and I got to buy it back from the Insurance Company at a really good price
because the clerk handling it actually was a really nice guy. He said they usually don´t sell back
"the rests" as they call it when they´ve made the pay out but helped me fix it at a great price as well.

The bike is pretty intact mechanically, the frame number has been grinded off and a few
pieces need replacement but no big things. The ignition lock has been taken out, ie the
bottom end of it with the actual switch is still there and works well, so the bike can be started using a screwdriver which of course is what the thief did.

My question is can the lock part be replaced alone?
Or do I need to replace the whole thing?
And if this is possible how is the lock part installed?
Last edit: 23 Nov 2020 01:26 by MartyZ1000.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
23 Nov 2020 07:37 #838767 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Ignition lock replacement
Not sure I'd go to the trouble Marty. Replacement switches can be had for very reasonable prices. About $30-35 on that auction site.

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
24 Nov 2020 20:29 #838900 by MartyZ1000
Replied by MartyZ1000 on topic Ignition lock replacement

slayer61 wrote: Not sure I'd go to the trouble Marty. Replacement switches can be had for very reasonable prices. About $30-35 on that auction site.

Thanks for the advice which makes total sense and I ordered one yesterday!

More
25 Nov 2020 03:09 #838902 by MartyZ1000

slayer61 wrote: Not sure I'd go to the trouble Marty. Replacement switches can be had for very reasonable prices. About $30-35 on that auction site.

And I guess the bolts that hold the switch need to be extracted? Some kind of security bolts?

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
25 Nov 2020 07:12 #838907 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Ignition lock replacement

MartyZ1000 wrote:

And I guess the bolts that hold the switch need to be extracted? Some kind of security bolts?

Maybe... but I wouldn't think so. I removed the ignition switch on my wife's '81 GPz with an Allan wrench or some such thing. Tamper proof hardware used in your area?

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
25 Nov 2020 21:55 #838951 by MartyZ1000

slayer61 wrote:

MartyZ1000 wrote:

Maybe... but I wouldn't think so. I removed the ignition switch on my wife's '81 GPz with an Allan wrench or some such thing. Tamper proof hardware used in your area?

Haven´t removed one before myself and lazy bastard I just googled it yet, will have to do the hard work of bending
down with some light and check it in the garage today! :) Hope for allan heads too, bike is sold here but maybe it´s more
a generation thing than regional differences. The bikes I checked were made later...