Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 30 Sep 2020 11:52 #835922

• Rick H.
  • Rick H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
So BMW recently announced that they have developed a maintenance free drive chain for some select models. Apparently from what I read there will be no routine adjustment necessary with this chain either. BMW is also going to release this maintenance free chain in "kit" form with sprockets for certain older models as an upgrade of around $500.00. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this new chain? I think it is quite interesting, but as of now they don't have it in the 630 size. I think 525 is the largest they show right now. Is this a "hit" or a "miss"? The one picture I saw of the chain has the name REGINA on it I think.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 30 Sep 2020 13:02 #835926

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
Sounds to good to be true , but I hope it is true
Friction and torque loads make it hard to believe

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 30 Sep 2020 13:11 #835927

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I took a look online and found a number of references to the chain. However, I did not see anything that stated a guarantee regarding how many miles or years the chain would last without any stretch or other problems. In theory, if it really doesn't stretch and requires zero maintenance I would expect BMW to provide a very long term guarantee. The internet links stated that the chain needs no lubrication maintenance and that it does not stretch, so maybe I simply missed the guarantee. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 30 Sep 2020 14:32 #835932

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1468
There's a few articles on line about the chain and it's made by REGINA not BMW but the development of the friction reducing materials and coatings was probably funded by them.
Maintenance "free" diamond chains are not new, they are common in automated manufacturing and last around five times as long but are mostly in constant free running applications and not really the variable load ,speed and environment of a motorcycle drive chain.
The BMW/REGINA chain is obviously an offshoot/improvement of the diamond chain to cope with the harsher running conditions but i'd say maintenance free doesn't mean it won't wear out but that it just doesn't need any additional lubrication to what it already self supplies.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 30 Sep 2020 16:37 #835942

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
I wonder how long it's supposed to last?

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 01 Oct 2020 13:33 #835985

• Rick H.
  • User
They didn't say anything about long term durability or how long it will last. My guess is at least three years as that's the basic warranty on the BMW's that will be equipped with this chain. Regardless it should be interesting.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 01 Oct 2020 14:00 #835988

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Maybe I've been lucky, but I installed my Tsubaki Sigma o-ring drive chain 18 years (26,000+ miles) ago and it has only stretched about 1/4 inch. I use Maxima Chain Wax on it about every 300 miles or so. At the rate it's going I suspect it will last at least 100,000 miles which means it will outlast me. The original endless loop chain and sprockets that came on the bike when it was new only lasted 36,000 miles, but the left chain adjuster was on the right side and the right chain adjuster was on the left side and this led to premature wear of the chain and sprockets. Also, on that chain I used PJ1 Chain Lube which I don't believe works as well as Maxima Chain Wax.

I suspect the BMW chain is excellent, but I would expect it to come with a lifetime warranty if it really doesn't wear at all. The other question is what about wear on the sprockets? If the chain doesn't wear does that imply that the sprockets remain like new too? Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 01 Oct 2020 15:50 #835994

• cb900f
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
I think they call it a 'Drive Shaft'. :)

Maintenance Free Drive Chain 01 Oct 2020 16:30 #836000

• Rick H.
  • User
Quite a few of the BMW's come with chains especially the high end sport bikes like the S1000 RR, S1000XR and several of their smaller bikes.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• Page: