Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Zx6r forks question 20 May 2020 15:47 #826183

• Mangajulio
  • Mangajulio's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello everyone I had search through the forum but I can find the answer to this stupid question.

So for those who has done the front end conversations to zx6r/636 forks I have a question

Did you used the lower three from the kz or did u used the one from zx6r/636?

I know would need a new stem but not sure if I can reuse the lower three of my kz1100 or need to used one from zx6r/ 636

Thank you
81 kz1100 broken girl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Zx6r forks question 20 May 2020 18:22 #826194

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
A new front end conversations needs the parts from zx6r/636 upper and lower triple tree.
Only your stock steering stem has to removed and modified to fit into the new lower triple tree.
Try to search this Forum for "Old Man Rock ZX-636 Front End Conversion".
Thanks goes to member blackbanshee for his additionally pics of his great metal working skills .

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mangajulio

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 08:20 #826232

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Is the donor steering stem too short? or too long or what? If it's too long, a machine shop might be able to redo it by cutting it to the correct length & machining new threads.

ps: it helps to mention the donor year & exact donor model. and exact KZ model. to avoid any guesswork.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 08:52 #826237

• Mangajulio
  • User
Thank you this is great information. I order the steam from Cognito Moto so I will see how that works.
81 kz1100 broken girl

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 08:55 #826239

• Mangajulio
  • User

martin_csr wrote: Is the donor steering stem too short? or too long or what? If it's too long, a machine shop might be able to redo it by cutting it to the correct length & machining new threads.

ps: it helps to mention the donor year & exact donor model. and the exact KZ model. to avoid any guesswork.

my project is an 82 KZ1100 shaft and I just want to put a 05 Zx6r front end but from what I have read the original KZ1100 stem would not fir the bottom tree of the 05 zx6r.
81 kz1100 broken girl

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 09:04 #826242

• Mangajulio
  • User
now after hrs on searching and reading a lot of posts from this forum I come across another question I couldn't find an answer.

so for the smart people "what is the biggest wheel and tire I can put in the rear of a kz1100 shaft?"
I know due to being a shaft I have limitation however now that I'm doing the front end swap I will like to get the wheels to match as closes possible.
Front options: OEM: 100/90/19
05 zx6r wheel: 120/60/17

Rear shaft options: OEM: 130/90/16
??????
81 kz1100 broken girl

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 09:06 #826244

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
So, is the donor stem too short or too long or what?

edit: did you check the all-balls-racing fork conversion?

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 10:28 #826263

• Mangajulio
  • User

martin_csr wrote: So, is the donor stem too short or too long or what?

edit: did you check the all-balls-racing fork conversion?

My understanding is the KZ1100 stem is to wide to fit it on the zx6r/zx636 lower tree. so basically you need someone who can machine down the original kz1100 stem or get a new steam that fit the new lower tree
81 kz1100 broken girl

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 11:00 #826272

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
due to the shaft drive you are limited in wheel selection.prolly have a hard time finding any wheel that matches the zx6 wheel to "bolt on"your bike.now if you are in for some machine and fab you can have any wheel you like.
i've seen r1 wheels on a v-max but it was expensive to have the machine work done. to make it all fit.
now if you would convert your engine to chain drive and use the shaft drive frame then you could use the zx6/636 swingarm and get the matching rear wheel to the front.some machine work required to fit the zx swingarm but easier than the other alternatives.

now you want to stay dual shocks or go mono shock.

it's a rabbit hole man.

cognito makes very nice stuff that conversion stem should be just what you need.

leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 11:29 #826277

• Mangajulio
  • User
To be honest I will like to keep it as shaft with mono shocks. I knowbthat there are some many modifications that can be done if there is money, time and knowledge.

This is my first motorcycle project that I'm trying to do so I'm learning as I go.

Now the other idea that pop on my head was could be possible to fit the kz wheel into the zx6r forks
81 kz1100 broken girl

Zx6r forks question 21 May 2020 16:15 #826297

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394
Yes, you could use your kawasaki front wheel, I'm currently doing this with a 2000 triumph speed triple 45mm fork front end at the moment, using a 18 inch Z1300 front wheel. Things you'll need to do, get bearings for the wheel that suit the OD {outside diameter} of the front kawasaki wheel bearing and the OD of the new axle, new spacers to suit the bigger axle, both inside the wheel between the bearings and between the wheel and for legs, you may be able to find a speedo drive that matches the axle but if not you'll need to use an electronic speedo. once you put in new axle spacers, you'll need to get seals to match, remember that the seals inside diameter will now need to be the same as the spacers, not the axle. Then there's the brakes, the fork spacing on your new forks is likely wider than your old front end so you'll have to make up brackets to hold your calipers in the correct position. These conversions need a lot of thought, most people neglect the fact that the donor triples have less offset, this will give the front end MORE trail slowing down steering response, my frame is going onto a frame jig and we are moving the steering head a couple of degrees so I can use the 40mm offset Triumph triple trees whilst maintaining correct trail.... As a side note, I also had to get longer fork tubes made up so my donor fork were the correct length. To do these conversions correctly can be quite complicated....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mangajulio

Zx6r forks question 26 May 2020 18:58 #826610

• Mangajulio
  • User
I just going to be using the completed front end from zx6r.

And I may just trying to get a rear wheel size 17x3.00 shaft
81 kz1100 broken girl

• Page: