Front Brake Components

More
08 May 2020 07:37 - 08 May 2020 08:21 #825238 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Front Brake Components
A pic would be good. for proof. others on other forums have poo poo-ed my comments about made in china junk. hee.
I think some of the early chinese parts were probably fine, but I think in the past 5 yrs or so they've learned to cut costs to the bare bone & figured out that they can get away with it.
Last edit: 08 May 2020 08:21 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2020 09:07 #825244 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Front Brake Components
Generally speaking, stuff from China is junk. One thing that amazed me was K&N oil filters for my KZ650. Previously they were made in Thailand and every one was made well and completely consistent in their size and configuration. The last batch I ordered were made in China and were junk. Compared to the Thailand filters they had considerably fewer pleats so they had less filter material, they were all different heights varying a bit more than 1/8" in size, and rather than having metal clips holding the ends of the filter material together they were simply glued together. It made me wonder if the filter material itself was still high quality or if it too had been replaced with cheap material. Since I still had two Thailand produced filters I was able to compare them to the Chinese filters, and the difference was very obvious. I was stunned that K&N would sell crap filters just to make a few extra dollars. I wonder if the quality of the other K&N stuff has also suffered. It appears that the K&N folks don't bother to check the quality of the filters being produced in China, or maybe they simply don't care as long as they have a higher profit margin. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 May 2020 09:19 - 08 May 2020 09:20 #825245 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Front Brake Components
Hopefully this chinese corona virus debacle will force everyone to rethink china. It's hard to do, but I try to avoid their junk. I had a choice about a month ago when the pandemic was just taking hold: buy a new made in china bbq grill or just get a replacement bottom grate made in Taiwan even though the grate wasn't exactly the best fit. I went with the new grate. It works fine & I saved $20 or so.
Last edit: 08 May 2020 09:20 by martin_csr.

• Jpallison1722
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2020 13:52 #825267 by Jpallison1722
Replied by Jpallison1722 on topic Front Brake Components
I wish I could take a pic but I already disposed of the part. When I broke it, out of frustration I immediately junked it. I dont know what metal they use but its absolute junk. I took the mc off to check something. Some black goo was leaking up into the res of the MC so I took it off a pulled the plunger. I found that the o Rings were coated in something. Im guessing releasing agent from the mold it was made in. Anyway I was tightening the clamps for the handle bars when it the clamp just cracked a fell off. I was tightening them evenly so I did not introduce unnecessary stress. I should have been smart when making my purchase. $20 for an important part? yeah I shouldnt have skimped on that lol. oh well like I said. lesson learned and I wasnt on the road. I found what I imagine is a good part. Nissin universal MC with Lever. Should be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr