• kawural
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • never touch a running system
More
26 Apr 2020 07:51 #824306 by kawural
Unitrak revision - need advice was created by kawural
Hi all,
I am planning to replace the rear suspension unit on my GPZ 750 Unitrak model by a Wilbers or alike.
At this opportunity I would also like to examine, grease and, if needed, renew the various needle bearings constituting the Unitrak system.

While for the most UT components and levers it is pretty obvious on how to dismantle them, I am though not sure how to dismount the 22mm wrench size bolt that connects the rockerarm to the frame.
I dont seem to have an idea on how to pull this darn 10-15 cm long bolt as the centre stand gets in this way.
There is only around 10mm room to maneuvre. by far not sufficient to pull off the bolt. See picture.

One may think to just fold up or remove the centre stand which would sure provide enough clearance but since the rear wheel has to be removed first before disjointing the suspension I need the centre stand folded down to keep the machine standing upright. Hmm, bit of a drama ...
In a professional workshop they may have other supports availiable to keep the machine in a firm position but in my humble garage I dont.

Now I ve been pondering hard on a plan on how to overcome the issue before I'd start the work.

Here is my point:
I was wondering if anyone has ever dismantled the Unitrak swing arm and suspension system including the rocker arm and may have a hint. May be there is a trick I dont see?

Ideas appreciated

Thx in advance !!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 20:33 #824373 by M_a_t_t
Replied by M_a_t_t on topic Unitrak revision - need advice
I don't have any direct experience with this, but what I would do is block the front wheel and use my engine hoist to pick the back of the bike up. I know not everyone has one, but maybe you know someone who has one you can borrow for a little bit?

83 KZ1100A (shaft)
17 Versys X 300 abs
81 kz650h1
81 kz750e2
90 Honda CBR600F (brother's)

• kawural
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2020 00:17 #824377 by kawural
Replied by kawural on topic Unitrak revision - need advice
Indeed a hoist would be ideal. May be a jack underneath the engine would do the trick somehow. Might be a bid shaky though. I ll have to keep thinking

More
27 Apr 2020 02:26 #824379 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Unitrak revision - need advice
Run a pipe through your subframe and put jack stands on either side holding the bike up.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
27 Apr 2020 14:23 - 27 Apr 2020 14:36 #824431 by riturbo
Replied by riturbo on topic Unitrak revision - need advice
When I do my turbo I use a ratchet strap and hang it from the rafters . If you pull the seat you can run it thru the frame . I use two . Not sure how your garage is Set up . If you dont have rafters just find a floor joist and install something to hook them too . Basically you just need something solid to hang it from .Its easier if you loosen all the bolts before you lift it . Pull the swingarm to while you are at it .Those always need servicing too .I usually pull the swingarm bolt and pull the whole thing out in one piece .Then its easy to work on as its out of the bike .

Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk
Last edit: 27 Apr 2020 14:36 by riturbo.

• kawural
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2020 23:03 #824471 by kawural
Great advices! I ll consider.

Thx riturbo and Kidkawie

More
27 Apr 2020 23:05 #824472 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Unitrak revision - need advice

Kidkawie wrote: Run a pipe through your subframe and put jack stands on either side holding the bike up.

I’ve used the technique before. This is of my 1976 A4 during tear down. Which BTW is about to get put back together. Should be starting a rebuild post soon.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:

• kawural
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2020 23:16 #824473 by kawural
top! appreciate teh advice!