• Page:

TOPIC:

1986 GPz750A Unitrak to ZX9R C1 forks. 13 Jan 2020 12:19 #817031

• Goodpw
  • Goodpw's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All.
I've started getting bits & pieces together to do a front end swap on my 86 GPz750 Unitrak, so far I have RWU forks & yokes from a ZX9R C1, I have swapped a GPz stem into the bottom yoke & machined spacers & the top yoke to suit, I have more bits to get but then realised the ZX9R C model is digital speedo so no mechanical drive on the front wheel.
As I'm fairly committed to my choice of fork, my question is will a ZX6R wheel & discs fit the ZX9R forks ?
I will also be swapping the back wheel for a ZXR400 wheel.
Cheers.
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1986 GPz750A Unitrak to ZX9R C1 forks. 13 Jan 2020 13:32 #817035

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
You will swap three diffrent bike model parts to the front and rear end, no way Buddy. Best way to take the ZX9R B model wheel, fork, brake and speedo drive.
Too many diffrent spacings and axle/bearing Diameter.

This site list some modern bike brake, swingarm, fork and suspenion write up.

www.sellifighter.de/technik/masse/masse.htm

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

1986 GPz750A Unitrak to ZX9R C1 forks. 13 Jan 2020 13:56 #817038

• Goodpw
  • User
Cheers Scirocco. Great data on the chart.
I'm pretty much set on the C1 forks as I prefer to keep the RWU look, also I have some articles on it being done before but with digital speedo. the ZX6 / ZX9 bearing diameters are the same size & I have access to enough machinery to modify/make custom items.
There appears to be quite a bit of carry over between Kawasaki models so hopefully with a bit more research & tapping into the knowledge on here I may get there.
Cheers.
Phil.

1986 GPz750A Unitrak to ZX9R C1 forks. 30 Jan 2020 13:25 #818257

• Goodpw
  • User
Getting there....It appears that the ZX6R-F had an offset on the bottom of the left fork leg to suit the extra width of the speedo drive so after many visits to my works only manual lathe I have finally slimmed down the right hand wheel spacer (easy) & the mech speedo drive by removing material from the outer face (against fork) & the inner faces (against wheel), it turns out there's plenty of space inside the unit to move everything closer to the drive gears & use a slimmer (off the shelf) lip seal, skim the wheel mounted pressed steel speedo actuator, no need to skim the inner of the fork face or alter the wheel, the wheel is now central.

ZX9 C1 forks & axle/spindle, both yokes needed modifying to accept GPz stem & drop the height of the top yoke to match how the GPz is currently.

ZX6R - F (95-97) 3 straight spoke front wheel & speedo drive,

Next on the list is a pair of Nissin Calipers (I think I have some sorted), & check the alignment to the ZX6R-F discs that came with the wheel, also a suitably minimalist mudguard to fit the ZX9 forks, I don't want the wrap around look of a standard ZX9 but I'm sure i've seen somewhere that the ZRX muddie will fit.

• Page: