Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Rear shock questions 18 Dec 2019 21:23 #815585

• Radski
  • Radski's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
hey all, my stock 78 KZ400 shocks which I measured to be about 13" or just short of, (maybe 325-328mm), are bent so I need to get some replacements. MY build budget is not extravagant so I'm looking to get something decent but affordable.

I'm also planning on lowering the front end 1" so I'm looking to do the same in the rear? Should I be looking at 12.5" or 12" shocks and any brands come to mind?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear shock questions 19 Dec 2019 00:19 #815586

• Stu23
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Here in UK, Hagon is the go to name for cheap but decent shocks. Not sure how their prices translate to where you are. Had them on both my z400 and my 900 Ducati with no performance issues although they do disintegrate cosmetically after a few British winters!

YSS seem to do some nice, cheapish shocks, probably better value as Asian built. Several ranges of increasing performance and price.

A step up gets you to ikons. The old Konis, now built in Australia.

My current Zephyr wears a pair of adjustable 2Win shocks from Shock Factory. £300 a pair and probably OTT for a kz400 (and the Zephyr if I'm honest!).

Some options to consider here...

Bike Revival
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radski

Rear shock questions 19 Dec 2019 05:18 #815590

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
I put Hagons on my KZ650-C1 about 13 years ago. I've put 16,000 miles on them. They still work and look like new! I really like them a LOT! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Rear shock questions 19 Dec 2019 10:38 #815614

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
+1 on the YSS
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Rear shock questions 19 Dec 2019 22:03 #815637

• Radski
  • User
i guess my question still lies that if I want to lower it, what size should I be looking at?

Rear shock questions 20 Dec 2019 00:02 #815638

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I have the basic model of YSS and they have ,around 2cm adjustment in them. from what I remember. Have a look on the website and see what lengths they offer,you might find what youre looking for.
Tyres with a different aspect ratio will also lower the back end. I dont know what is standard on your bike or what other sizes are available but its worth looking into.
Another option (the cheapest) is to take some foam out of your seat.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Last edit: by davido.

Rear shock questions 20 Dec 2019 00:32 #815639

• Stu23
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
Long answer:

Each to his own, but my approach would be to cut the seat down if I had to (very Eddie!) but not change the designed in geometry, suspension travel and ground clearance. I'd always use stock length shocks or put slightly longer ones on to speed up the steering and give more clearance if the bike needs it. Then again, I don't have short legs!

If I absolutely had to lower the suspension, I'd go down the same amount front and rear, or slightly more at the front. Tipping it forward will speed up your steering and tipping backwards will make it turn slower and possibly run wide (same effect as a pillion).

If you're happy with the way it steers, keep it flat.
If it steers slowly and won't hold a line, drop it more at the front than the rear.
If you have issues with high speed wobbles, tipping it back a bit may add stability at the expense of steering feel.

Something else to think about... if you're reducing the suspension travel, you may need stiffer springs so you don't bottom out over the bumps. And if you're not reducing the travel, you may run out of clearance between wheel and rear mudguards, axle and exhaust, front mudguard/bottom yoke, etc. All things to check!

Short answer: Go down half an inch at both ends and you'll probably be OK!

Last edit: by Stu23.

Rear shock questions 20 Dec 2019 09:42 #815648

• Radski
  • User

davido wrote: I have the basic model of YSS and they have ,around 2cm adjustment in them. from what I remember. Have a look on the website and see what lengths they offer,you might find what youre looking for.
Tyres with a different aspect ratio will also lower the back end. I dont know what is standard on your bike or what other sizes are available but its worth looking into.
Another option (the cheapest) is to take some foam out of your seat.

I looked at YSS US website and to be honest its JUNK. I may have to call them to see what the deal is. My stocks measure something between 326-328mm or 12.8-13". which is weird I thought theyd be 325mm spot on.

Rear shock questions 20 Dec 2019 09:44 #815649

• Radski
  • User

Stu23 wrote: Long answer:

Each to his own, but my approach would be to cut the seat down if I had to (very Eddie!) but not change the designed in geometry, suspension travel and ground clearance. I'd always use stock length shocks or put slightly longer ones on to speed up the steering and give more clearance if the bike needs it. Then again, I don't have short legs!

If I absolutely had to lower the suspension, I'd go down the same amount front and rear, or slightly more at the front. Tipping it forward will speed up your steering and tipping backwards will make it turn slower and possibly run wide (same effect as a pillion).

If you're happy with the way it steers, keep it flat.
If it steers slowly and won't hold a line, drop it more at the front than the rear.
If you have issues with high speed wobbles, tipping it back a bit may add stability at the expense of steering feel.

Something else to think about... if you're reducing the suspension travel, you may need stiffer springs so you don't bottom out over the bumps. And if you're not reducing the travel, you may run out of clearance between wheel and rear mudguards, axle and exhaust, front mudguard/bottom yoke, etc. All things to check!

Short answer: Go down half an inch at both ends and you'll probably be OK!

Yes thanks for all that. I do plan on going at least an inch up front, so may only go 1/2" at the back. Getting new tires so will see where it sits with the stock shocks first. Most shocks I've looked at have adjustments to pre load so I'm not too worried about bottoming out.

Rear shock questions 23 Dec 2019 05:53 #815770

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
www.denniskirk.com/progressive-suspensio...s-and-struts/100.ipp
progressive builds decent shocks in whatever length you want.sounds to me like you are looking for an 11 1/2 or 12 inch long shock.they will set you back around $300.00 or buy some air shocks(dirtyworks-kc.com/products/dirty-air-rear-shocks) and adjust it to where you like and when you pick up your girl or a keg you can pump em up with the handy dandy lil air pump you'll be carrying :) www.progressivesuspension.com/product/1468/mini-gauge-pump

hth,
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

• Page: