Very stubborn swingarm spindle - KZ550 LTD

More
21 Oct 2019 11:58 #812822 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Very stubborn swingarm spindle - KZ550 LTD
Getting penetrant between the spacer and bolt is going to be a challenge. Pouring it in the grease fitting hole will certainly lube up the outside of the spacer, and pouring it from each end will douse the bearings, but a great deal of patience and a lot of penetrant will be needed to get to the problem.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2019 18:16 #813094 by Pagala
Replied by Pagala on topic Very stubborn swingarm spindle - KZ550 LTD
Thanks for the tips and advice guys.

Just to give a brief update: after a bit of trial and error, I haven't removed the spindle but I now know exactly where I stand. It isn't sensible to apply tremendous force to dislodge the spindle, as this risks frame damage. The spindle is galvanically corroded to the inner sleeve/spacer, which means that penetrant and rust remover (whether vinegar or other) wouldn't be effective. However, I know how to remove it. Because of one of the washer-spacers being missing on one side, the swingarm can be shifted slightly to the right or left, and this is just enough room to fit a hand-held mini jigsaw. I started to saw through the spindle and inner spacer, but then reconsidered. If I cut away the spindle, knock out the remains from either side, I can then procure another spindle, and a set of swingarm bearings and dust seals, and be done. However, where's the fun in that? It's a bit too chequebook-restoration for me. Besides, I could have bought a complete original bike if that's what I wanted, and have saved money. I started to lose enthusiasm when sawing, and figured, I may as well make this the hardtail bobber that's been on my mind for some time now, so that's the plan now. The spindle is going to stay in place.

1̶9̶8̶3̶ ̶K̶a̶w̶a̶s̶a̶k̶i̶ ̶G̶T̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶(̶U̶K̶-̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶m̶o̶d̶e̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶Z̶5̶5̶0̶ ̶G̶1̶,̶ ̶r̶e̶g̶i̶s̶t̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶4̶.̶
1981 Kawasaki Z440 (KZ440C1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.