Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tree interchangeable? 12 Oct 2019 09:28 #812304

• Newguy
  • Newguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Have a 1981 KZ650 csr. Could I just swap out the upper tree with a older style . So I could eliminate the handlebar clamps to lower and run clamp on bars? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tree interchangeable? 12 Oct 2019 18:49 #812335

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
What steering head are you considering? Some of the later GPz models had clip-on bars, but I'm not aware of anything earlier. For something like this you may have to swap the entire front end or at least the fork assy. I doubt that any old triple will swap. For one thing, the donor would need to be from a model with 36mm fork tubes >> you can check fork sizes at the ohio cafe racers fork tube conversion chart which lists many models. Also, the CSR triple tree is kind of straight across, whereas some models are angled forward, such as the KZ750E. usually to allow clearance for a larger tank.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tree interchangeable? 12 Oct 2019 18:57 #812336

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
It might be a lot easier to grind or mill the handlebar mounts off and repaint.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Tree interchangeable? 12 Oct 2019 19:12 #812337

• martin_csr
  • User
He'll also need to slide the fork tubes up, which will lower the front end.

Tree interchangeable? 13 Oct 2019 06:58 #812348

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
He might want to run the clamp-ons without modding the stock tree. Then after he finds that he hates the backaches that surely will come from using clamp-ons on the street he can revert back to handlebars. :laugh: Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Tree interchangeable? 13 Oct 2019 07:34 #812350

• martin_csr
  • User
Aren't clip-on handlebars kind of similar to having superbike bars?

Tree interchangeable? 13 Oct 2019 08:53 #812352

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 375
Not really. Superbike bars have an inch, inch-and-a-half of rise. Clip-ons are attached to the fork tube and are usually mounted directly below the top triple clamp, giving an inch or two of drop. (Some people move them down father.)

You might be thinking of clubman bars: they're designed to emulate the riding position of having clip-ons with the ease of installing a tubular bar.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Tree interchangeable? 13 Oct 2019 09:36 #812356

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Like Ed said, try the clipons before you change the fork yokes. Or try clubmans. Clubmans are very similar to clipons, but the clipons still require a slightly longer reach and are a bit lower. Be aware, some clubmans are not wide enough to fit properly.

Other than your comfort, there are a few other things to consider and plan for. With clubmans or clipons, you will want to modify the steering stop or you will definitely be hitting the tank with the controls. These old bikes have way more turning ability than they need so limiting the travel doesn't really affect anything but maneuvering in the garage and many modern bikes are like that nowadays. The steering lock can still work fine as long as you limit the steering precisely to allow for it, or you can just shave the steering stop a tiny bit and no one will ever notice.

If you like the clipons and are ready to commit, you can just mill off the bar mounts. But you will need to take it to a good welder who can fill in the holes, cosmetically. Then sand it smooth and paint.

Another option is to use body filler. We tried both. I prefer the welding. My buddy did his with bondo and so far (7 years later) it still looks like new. The results are similar.

I wouldn't cut lower than the top of the big bolt, since that is going to stick up there anyway.

Here are some photos from when we did a couple 550's.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Newguy

Last edit: by loudhvx.
  • Page: