How to choose offset front sprocket

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Sep 2019 03:38 #811461 by Ojisan rider
How to choose offset front sprocket was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys.

Just as the title reads, just how the heck do you choose the right offset?

I do have Zep400 swingarm and probably gonna fit Zep400 rim to it. Now, the motor is from 82 KZ/GPz 750 so I know I need to fit offset front sprocket. Just how do you measure the offset? I do have the laser pointer along with chain alignment tool.If I have to, I will go to those Japanese motorcycle guys (I do read and write Japanese)but I just don't know how to measure it.

Can anyone shine me a light on this?

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2019 04:21 #811462 by davido
Replied by davido on topic How to choose offset front sprocket
Get your back end set up as you want it, fit the back sprocket and the original front sprocket. Laser down one face of the rear sprocket and measure the difference twixt the laser line and the same face of the front sprocket. That'll give you how much you want to offset your front sprocket. If its close enough to a standard offset,you might be able to adjust the back end to get it on the nose. If its way off, you might need to get one made up special.
I was lucky enough to be able to use an off the shelf one.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
28 Sep 2019 20:02 #811491 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic How to choose offset front sprocket
It's quite easy, center the swingarm in the frame then center the wheel using the frame centerline. Kawasaki centered the rear wheel on the frame centerline not the swingarm. You will notice on a lot of bikes the rear wheel is not centered in the swingarm. So as long as the rear wheel is centered within the frame the front oem sprocket will automatically be in line with the rear sprocket. I've swapped a lot of awingarms on a lot of bikes and this has worked most of the time. Now sometimes it doesn't due to some weird combo that is when I end up using offset sprockets

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Sep 2019 03:19 #811494 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic How to choose offset front sprocket
Got it.

Thanks guys. I will definitely use laser pointer to get accurate measurement.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.