Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Early Z1 fork damper assembly 13 Sep 2019 07:09 #810801

• asphalt900
  • asphalt900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Good Morning! I was going thru some early nub Z1 forks and came across this damper assembly. It's been a while since I've had the early style dampers in hand and cannot remember if this is correct or an aftermarket stack? From what I remember the early dampers were more crude. Early S&W, progressive perhaps? Last photo is of the later Z1 style and of course used the bigger cone. Anybody recognize these items?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Early Z1 fork damper assembly 14 Sep 2019 06:05 #810825

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 600
Attached is a scan of the S&W data sheet that came with one of our '75 Z1's when we bought it in '89. The PO had installed it long before he sold it to us. We've never had the need to remove either of the S&W dampers, so we don't have first-hand experience of the details.
Reaching into the cobwebs of the mind, we seem to remember the OEM dampers on our earliest '72 Z1's having a split ring made of some sort of phenolic-like material that is not present on later dampers that were supposed to solve the "clunk" noise on sudden compression. Don't see that ring on your disassembled damper assy. either.

EDIT: Not sure the .pdf or .jpg attachments can be seen by all. KZRider.com is still returning a 403 error code unless we jump through a VPN hoop & use Opera browser for access. No one seems able to fix it. If you cannot see the scanned image attachments correctly, PM us with your email & we'll send it that way.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE. Reason: Workaround for kzrider.com site failure code 403

Early Z1 fork damper assembly 14 Sep 2019 10:12 #810833

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 516
Those are not stock. And you do know those metal round spacers are put in for lowering the tubes. You can use 1"-2"-3" To lower the tubes in slider, like drag bikes do to lower front end. Coil springs need to be altered also. Nice stuff, put it to use.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Early Z1 fork damper assembly 14 Sep 2019 12:37 #810837

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
Can't help with your question but thought I would follow up on what slmjim + Z1BEBE said. I was trying to figure out why my dampers didn't look like the Kawasaki parts fiche until he kindly sent me that pdf file. They were S&W dampers, installed along with S&W shocks. The springs were stock.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Early Z1 fork damper assembly 15 Sep 2019 04:25 #810858

• asphalt900
  • asphalt900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 167
Thank-You all for the replies! From the PDF file is would seem i'm missing the rebound spring and some other spacers and light wound spring? The main springs were not stock that were removed, not straight wound, but the sliders were stock length.

• Page: