Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 08 Sep 2019 20:35 #810555

• PtownSLUG
  • PtownSLUG's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I’m looking through Fast from the Past’s website and can’t find a direct match. There’s a set that’s labeled ‘1980 gpz550’. I’m kinda thinking that’s it although there wasn’t a gpz550 in ‘80, but it’s the closest description and I know the other similar options won’t be direct fits bc they are different like the ‘82 unitrack or the KZ versions.

Has anyone put Tarozzi rearsets on a ‘81 gpz550?

www.fastfromthepast.com/03-0032
81 GPz 550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 09 Sep 2019 08:07 #810577

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
It looks like it's using the passenger-peg hangers as the mounting point. It *looks* like it should work on the 81. The front footpegs are in a slightly different location on the standard models, but they mount using the same frame boss... not related to the rear-peg hangers. And I believe the 1980 Kz550 standard did not use the bolt-on hangers anyway, so that kit would have to be for the 81 and later models, Gpz or not.

I went to rear sets that one of the previous owners cobbled together for racing (along with clip-ons). It's fun , but can get a little tiring on long rides. Those in the listing look to have a similar riding position.

That's a great looking kit and the price hasn't really gone up a whole lot over the years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PtownSLUG

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 09 Sep 2019 08:46 #810580

• PtownSLUG
  • User
I think you’re right. It’s gotta be for an ‘81, kz or gpz. There’s a different kit for the kz models that don’t have the bolt on hangers and ones for the 82-83 so that only leaves the 81 w/ bolt on hangers.

I just emailed them. Hopefully they can confirm and correct their description.

They are a little pricier than a universal kit but then I’d have to put together the linkage kit and have mounting brackets fabbed up. That $310 starts looking pretty reasonable I think
81 GPz 550

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 09 Sep 2019 09:31 #810582

• PtownSLUG
  • User
Well I heard back from FFTP. Since Tarozzi is Italian the models listed are European (even though FFTP is a US distributor) and they can’t confirm what fits what in US models. They were nice enough to send me drawings to ‘review and decide for myself’ what fits. That would typically be fine and all but it’s pretty hilarious that the drawings have no measurements what so ever. They are just what’s on the website which is just drawings of the parts with part numbers
81 GPz 550
Attachments:

Last edit: by PtownSLUG.

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 09 Sep 2019 10:06 #810584

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
What's even funnier is that the drawing is for a different set. Notice the photos of the actual units show way more mounting bosses and holes etc.

The photos look like the ones for the 81 gpz, but the drawing looks like it's for the 82-83 Gpz, or even the 84-85 Zx-based Gpz.

I wonder if they ever sell a set. Do they offer a return if it doesn't match? It would suck to be stuck with those as you would have to re-sell then cheaper probably.

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 17 Oct 2019 07:49 #812586

• Caleator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey did you ever end up getting the rearsets from them? Kind of curious myself.
1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (KZ550D-1)

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 02 Dec 2019 08:04 #814835

• Caleator
  • User
Found some pics of the rear sets on a bike. someone on a custom z400fx has them (so would work on an 81 gpz550)

just to bring some closure to this thread for any future viewers.

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 12 Jan 2020 21:17 #817002

• Caleator
  • User
Not sure if relevant anymore or if anyone cares, but posting this anyways.

I decided to get the Tarozzi rearsets, and they are pretty decent.

They come in 4 different types:
-Fixed, with rubber
-Fixed without rubber
-Foldable, with rubber
- Foldable, without rubber

Took me a lot longer to put them on then it should have. But I have to say they are very well made for the most part. My only issue is trying to position the actuator foot pieces that the linkages agreed with, always seemed either too deep or too high up, but with enough fiddling I managed to get the shift one in the perfect position. Brake one however, is a little more frustration to figure out. the current position i have it in prevents me from using all the brake down force I want before the linkage starts to run into itself. but not to a point to where the brake is useless. Also the shifting linkage is a little more direct than the stock 81 GPZ ones are, so shifting with it feels a little more direct with less movement while still feeling firm. Not sure if they just forgot it or I lost it somehow, but there was a missing counter nut for the shift linkage, luckily you can just pull one off the old linkage.

Ergonomics feel pretty good and race ready, assuming that's what you want when you buy rearsets. Positioned a fair amount more back and up. Takes a little ride or two to get used to them.
Was having a great time with them on a canyon run (that is until my ignition stopped working...)

In the pictures I dont have the passenger pegs on, but there is room for them on the new plate. However the hardware they supply you is way too long. Also in the picture I dont have the rear brake light spring on, (you have to stretch it out a fair amount before you put it on.)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, PtownSLUG

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 12 Jan 2020 22:23 #817007

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
Thanks for the write-up and photos! I always wondered how they would actually look and work (since the photos didn't exactly make sense).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleator

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 13 Jan 2020 17:24 #817055

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 378
What Lou said. :)

I'm not planning to mod my '81 but it was interesting to see/read about the installation. Thanks!
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleator

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 24 Jan 2020 08:51 #817739

• smcmillen66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Caleator - which set did you end up buying?
I have an '80KZ550 that I'm using a rear disc on. I ordered the Tarozzi for the KZ550 with drum brake, but now I think if I order the disc linkage piece from the GPZ dual shock set it'll make my life easier.
I know FFTP sells individual Tarozzi parts, so if I know what set you ordered, I can get the part # for the linkage piece (I think anyway)...
Thanks!

Anyone have exp w/ Tarozzi rearsets for 81 gpz550? 25 Jan 2020 15:24 #817895

• Caleator
  • User
I ordered the fixed, rubber, rear sets.

SKU#: 03-0032

Not sure how the drum one is setup up but the kz550 shares the same frame so I'd imagine it would be an easy conversion.

Good luck!!

www.fastfromthepast.com/03-0032

Last edit: by Caleator.
  • Page: