Rear sprocket mounting tip

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 Jul 2019 12:47 - 31 Jul 2019 12:48 #808494 by Dragbike_Mike
Rear sprocket mounting tip was created by Dragbike_Mike
Ever notice how your chain tension has "tight" and "loose" spots? Here's a tip that can help minimize this. By design, the rear sprocket is a clearance fit with respect to the register on the rear wheel. In the case of my KZ 1000 LTD, the clearance was just a shade under 0.006". Ideally, you want to have the rear sprocket mounted so that it is concentric with your rear wheel when tightening up the mounting bolts. The trick is to make up some shims to place between the sprocket and rear wheel register to help center the sprocket. In my case, I had some 0.001" stainless shim stock lying around so I doubled up on it. In the past, I've used aluminum soda cans (approx. 0.003" thick) on other bikes. The principle is the same. I've attached some pics. Hope that they make sense.

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 12:48 by Dragbike_Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
31 Jul 2019 13:45 - 31 Jul 2019 13:45 #808497 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
Your idea to center the rear sprocket to rear wheel hub provided a precise made rear sproket. Any aftermarket rear sproket i put on my bikes has light press fit. Some hubs are milled with a conical shape to center the sprocket. Never though about truing a rear sprocket and how to verify or measure up it´s centered to the hub.
Only worn chains and sprockets has "tight" and "loose" tension spots.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 13:45 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

• Dragbike_Mike
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
31 Jul 2019 19:10 #808525 by Dragbike_Mike
Replied by Dragbike_Mike on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
Thanks Scirocco - very interesting. I've never encountered a rear sprocket/hub combination that was an interference or shrink fit. Do you heat the sprocket slightly before installation to allow you to mount the sprocket and align the bolt holes? I could see where this setup would eliminate any eccentricity of the sprocket.

And, I'm not familiar with the hubs that have a conical mating surface for the sprocket. Again, I can see the value in this. Would you have any pics or a link to this setup. Always interested in learning something new.

Thanks again.

Mike

Presently - 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD w/mild ported head, Megacycle cams, 1015cc Wiseco, Falicon Supercrank, R&D undercut trans
In a former life - KZ-based dragbike - CrMo car tire chassis, 1395cc, Hahn Racecraft turbo system, VP C16, Orient Express 3-spd auto, 7.80's @ 165-170.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
31 Jul 2019 19:27 - 31 Jul 2019 19:38 #808528 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
I have seen rear sprockets chamfered on one side that put on a sprocket hub with an o-ring that do fill the chamfered area. It´s like a press fit self centering feature.
Sorry if got no pics but i would do so next time. I have seen this feature on some French Renauld cars to center the wheels on hubs.

Michael
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 19:38 by Scirocco.

More
31 Jul 2019 19:52 #808532 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
The OEM KZ650 sprockets are chamfered on one side. Images below show each side of a NOS sprocket. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

More
01 Aug 2019 01:39 - 01 Aug 2019 05:51 #808538 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
Pretty much all motorcycle sprocket bores are parallel to their stubs.
Any loose fit is down to the quality and accuracy of the sprocket and any slight taper in the bore is down to the stamping process on cheaper sprockets where the bore isn't finish machined to the correct size.
The chamfer on one side of the sprocket goes toward the wheel and it's to prevent stand off where the sprocket sits in the corner circumference of the wheel stub as this is rarely a tight 90 degree but a slightly rounder profile due to the machining cutting tip profile.
Centering the sprocket on the stub is a good idea but if the sprocket is that loose you can bet the stamping isn't that accurate and the teeth don't run concentric to the center anyway.
The best way to check for runout is to clock the teeth with a dial gauge while rotating the wheel on its spindle but a discrepancy of a couple of thou or so isn't going to make any difference.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 01 Aug 2019 05:51 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike

More
01 Aug 2019 05:21 #808541 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
Only worn chains and sprockets has "tight" and "loose" tension spots.

The 650-CSR owner's manual says to find the tightest spot in the chain when adjusting the slack, so Kawasaki obviously expects there to be a tight spot in the drive chain. My chain isn't worn or stretched or loose & the sprockets are good, but I try to find the tightest spot when adjusting it. it's a subtle difference where the chain is tightest. The tight spot in a worn or stretched drive chain will probably be obvious.

More
01 Aug 2019 14:30 #808567 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip

martin_csr wrote: Only worn chains and sprockets has "tight" and "loose" tension spots.

The 650-CSR owner's manual says to find the tightest spot in the chain when adjusting the slack, so Kawasaki obviously expects there to be a tight spot in the drive chain. My chain isn't worn or stretched or loose & the sprockets are good, but I try to find the tightest spot when adjusting it. it's a subtle difference where the chain is tightest. The tight spot in a worn or stretched drive chain will probably be obvious.

Chains begin to stretch as soon as they are installed and used; this is expected behavior and the reason manufacturers tell you to check the slack/tension of a new chain after a certain number of miles.

This PDF book goes into a LOT of detail but some of it is pretty interesting.

www.ustsubaki.com/pdf/the-complete-guide.pdf

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

More
03 Aug 2019 18:10 #808668 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Rear sprocket mounting tip
This a non issue.