Kawasaki Z1 KZ Rim Date Codes. Right or Left side?

More
28 Jul 2019 06:57 #808285 by asphalt900
I should of paid better attention over the years! Can anyone document the stamped datecode on the Takasago stock rims placement, right or left side when sitting on bike? My wheelwright says on the right. This would include all of the 300 series rim lacing from factory. So was datecode always on one side or just random?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jul 2019 11:38 #808306 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Kawasaki Z1 KZ Rim Date Codes. Right or Left side?
I don't know how they came from the factory but the writing is always near the air valve.

I think it can be either side, depending on how the hub was laced. Both fronts on my Z1B's are left side. One rear is left and one is right.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
28 Jul 2019 13:48 #808313 by asphalt900
And they are the Correct/original spoked 303's front and back?

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jul 2019 15:49 #808322 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Kawasaki Z1 KZ Rim Date Codes. Right or Left side?
My Jan 75 build bike has Jan/75 wheels front and back. They were on the bike when I bought it but I can't say for sure they were original to the bike. This is the one that has both on the left side.

My Sept/74 build bike has an Aug/74 front and a Jan/75 rear. Clearly the rear isn't original to the bike but the front may have been, although I have no way of knowing. Both wheels were on the bike when I bought it. I re-laced both wheels myself with the front code on the left and the rear on the right. I wasn't paying particular attention to the codes when I laced the wheels.

I've asked the question on another forum and will report back if I get an answer.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jul 2019 15:54 #808324 by hardrockminer
One reply on the other forum so far...from John Brookes, who wrote the book on date codes. He said:

"Excellent question. I have wondered this myself.
I don't believe there is a convention. I'm sure the lacer didn't care less. I have had several original wheels over the years and they have been on both sides. Having said that, the front seems to be mostly left, whilst the rear (from my observations) seem both left and right."

I wonder if that means the guy who laced front wheels was left handed while the guy who did the rears was ambidextrous?

More
28 Jul 2019 17:17 #808326 by asphalt900
That's funny!! I've already had the wheels laced for a 73 i'm in the throws of but I took a 76 900 wheel yesterday to my friend and wheelwright. He has been doing this for decades, even has some of his work in the Smithsonian. He too has seen different variations. Maybe one of those elusive assembly questions that answers it's self with whatever one thinks is right is right? Thanks for looking Miner!!

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Jul 2019 19:42 #808393 by hardrockminer
No worries!

No more answers on the other forum so it looks like no one really knows if there is a convention.

So if you're left handed......

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
30 Jul 2019 04:46 #808403 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Kawasaki Z1 KZ Rim Date Codes. Right or Left side?
The only ones we're 100% confident of. Format: Position F or R date code on (SIDE)

Late '72 mfgr. Z1... F date code on (L) R date code on (L)
Early '74 mfgr. Z1-A... F date code on (L) R date code on (R)
Mid '75 mfgr. Z1-B... F date code on (L) R date code on (L)
Late '75 mfgr/. Z1-B... F date code on (L) R date code on (UNKNOWN)

OEM spoke wheel assy's. on the shelf we're confident of:
R date code [2J] on (R)
F date code [5A] on (R)
R date code [5A] on (R)

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.