KZ750L3 wheel, brake, and fork swap

More
26 Jul 2019 18:33 #808214 by staniel
KZ750L3 wheel, brake, and fork swap was created by staniel
My bike, Bucephalus, has been parked for a couple years after the greatest ride I'll ever take. At the end of that ride, my friend reported that my rear rotor was turning red. I think it's time to show Bucky the love I always wanted to show him while I was broke.

It's time for me to execute on my fantasy of swapping out the following parts, in descending order of importance: wheels, brakes, fork and swingarm, electrical, controls

I'm thinking the easiest way to do this will be to buy a front-end off a modern bike, a fancy new gauge cluster (I've gone through three original L3 clusters), a conversion kit to some kind of modern bike for the wheels and chassis, any new electronics needed.

The problem is, I haven't kept up, and I'm out of date.
Do any of you guys have opinions on a best wheel, fork, swingarm swap for my old boy?
Do you have an opinion on a way to dramatically simplify the electronics and controls?

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
27 Jul 2019 06:44 - 27 Jul 2019 06:47 #808229 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ750L3 wheel, brake, and fork swap
I bet 750 Zephyr parts would be as close to plug and play as you can find. No matter which modern bike you cannibalize, it makes sense to get a complete front end( forks, wheel, brakes,controls, meters, fender, et cetera), and do the same at the rear. This way you will not have to mess with fabricating spacers, brake mounts et cetera.
The electrical system, I am not so sure. If you want to start from scratch, you will want to use the factory schematic and the existing loom as guides. Moto Gadget makes a really sexy modern alternative that will require a bit less fabrication, and a bit more money. If you want a home-built minimalist system, look for Lou's ever popular Bare Bones for Matty Light schematic. It may have to be slightly modified for the 750, but Lou has proven to be very helpful and patient in such matters.

Moto Gadget info- motogadget.com/en/
Please do keep us posted.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 27 Jul 2019 06:47 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: staniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.