Front wheel chatter

More
24 Jul 2019 02:59 #808061 by Pattenrd
Front wheel chatter was created by Pattenrd
Recently rebuilt the front end on my 1974 z1 seals progressive springs d.i.d. Rims now I have developed a front wheel chatter on smooth road tire and wheel have been balanced could this be a fork oil problem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jul 2019 05:25 #808065 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Front wheel chatter
Did you re-install the dampers correctly? There is an order to the parts. Mix it up and they will make noise.

As a side note...there is seldom any problem with the original forks. The old springs were probably fine. There is a spec on them....I think it's 50 cm. If they are less than that you should change. Otherwise they are good to go.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
24 Jul 2019 11:48 - 24 Jul 2019 11:49 #808077 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Front wheel chatter
Would check the wheel bearings and steering stem/neck bearings for play too.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2019 11:49 by Scirocco.

More
24 Jul 2019 14:41 #808082 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Front wheel chatter
Ok, I am clueless on what is meant by "chatter". Is this a noise you are hearing or is this something you are feeling in the bike and/or handlebars? I have heard of brake chatter and clutch chatter, but never front end chatter. Is this taking place while braking or does it change when braking? There is simply not enough information presented to begin to make an educated guess as to what your problem is. Also important is at what speed does this occur?

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldy110

More
29 Jul 2019 04:40 #808343 by Pattenrd
Replied by Pattenrd on topic Front wheel chatter
Frot tire seems to bounce a little on smooth road tire and wheel have been balanced put progressive springs in forks when I did seal s and put fresh oil

More
29 Jul 2019 05:26 #808345 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Front wheel chatter
Sounds like something similar to what I am experiencing with my '77 KZ-1000. When I ride down a smooth road at about 40 mph I have a feeling like the bike is rocking front to back, or the front end is bouncing up and down. I don't have a wheel stand anymore, but I did spin the rear tire on the bike and it is definitely out of round in both directions, plus there is an enormous amount of wheels weights on the wheel. I don't know what the front is like. So I decided to take both wheels off the bike and take them in to get them trued and balanced. I hope to eliminate this problem when I get them back on the bike. To the best of my knowledge the front end on my bike has not been worked on, but the wheels were re-spoked not too long ago. Fingers crossed....

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jul 2019 06:41 #808348 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Front wheel chatter
40 year old wheel bearings. I replaced all of mine in 13. No more bounce.
Steve

More
29 Jul 2019 09:21 #808355 by Pattenrd
Replied by Pattenrd on topic Front wheel chatter
I got new bearings I'll give it try any thought on it being a fork oil problem replaced old oil with recommended amount 15 w

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Jul 2019 09:47 #808356 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Front wheel chatter
Be careful not to bind them. Take your time.
Steve

More
29 Jul 2019 10:16 #808357 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Front wheel chatter
One time I had a shop install and spin balance the front tire and it ended up bouncing like a basketball on smooth roads.
A few weeks later I took it to a different shop to balance. They had to put the weights in totally different positions and the front was smooth as glass. All I can figure is the first shop's machine was defective or the technician screwed something up.