• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ/Zephyr swingarm 28 Apr 2019 21:05 #802967

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

Just got back from family vacation (well, not just, but been fighting some mean jet-lag and finally ALMOST back to normal...................) and got some time so decided to get the treasure I got. ZR400/Zephyr swingarm.

I know I need some work done to put this on my KZ, but for now, I thought I'll share some of the pictures I took in case someone is interested in this kind of conversion. I'm still working on my other bike as well, so the update may be far in between. But I promise that every time I do something, I'll share the info on here. But for now, enough talk and I'll let the pictures do the talking for me.

Not too good pictures, but was trying to compare the width of the arm.

On the side note, compared to what the original swingarm pivot shaft and Zephyr one, Zephyr one definitely moves smoother. I'm not sure if this is from age or just the original design, but the difference is night and day. So if anything, I'll probably modify the frame side to accept the Zephyr shaft. Also, this is my personal feeling as I haven't weight the arms, but even with caliper mounted, Zephyr swingarm feels lighter than the original KZ.

Next on menu, find a machine shop to modify the frame to accept Zephyr pivot shaft.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ/Zephyr swingarm 28 Apr 2019 21:06 #802968

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
I had to break into two separate post due to link restriction.

Frame side.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

KZ/Zephyr swingarm 28 Apr 2019 23:28 #802969

• gazzz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 313
I duno about KZ750 frame, but Zephyr 550/400 swingarm fits well into KZ650 frame. KZ650 has 16mm pin, while Zephyr 550 swingarm pin is 17mm. Zephyr 550 swingarm was designed to work between flat sides of frame, so some side spacers needed to fit it into KZ650 frame. And last point is about distance between shock mounts. 650 frame needs spacers for upper shock mounts.
Kawasaki KZ650 cafe-racer: in progress

Kawasaki Zephyr 750 (810ccm, 4in4, spoked wheels)
Honda CB815 "Eight Fifteen" cafe-racer
Yamaha XJ "Eight Ball" cafe-racer

www.gazzz-garage.com

KZ/Zephyr swingarm 05 May 2019 09:30 #803365

• waktaylor
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I need to know if a 160/60r17 will fit in that swing arm. It doesn't look much wider than that stocker.

• Page: