Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 27 Jan 2019 00:25 #797664

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys. Been working on my other bike (89' ZX7) as my frame still haven't come back from the paint shop. I figure this as when I sent out my other bike's frame, came back almost year later.

Anyway, I'm still collecting parts for my KZ and working on small parts like paint the parts or cleaning/rebuilding the small parts. And while I was looking through evilbay, something hit me. Wheel and drive chain.I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in the forum but I just couldn't find what I was looking for. I did search using "18 inch swap" but maybe that wasn't enough. My question is, I'm currently looking for 18-inch front wheel with dual disk to fit my KZ/GPz. What are my choices when it come to this swap? I would like to keep the original fork, but if I have a more modern choice, I don't mind changing the fork. But I would like to keep the machining to minimum, so no fancy fork or wheel swap.

My other question will be that I would like to change my drive chain to 530 size. What is our choices when it come to chain? In my days, when I was riding the bike, we had two choices. Either Tsubaki or RK Takasago. Of course, there was other chain but those two were the choices when you wanted the best. How's about now? Just about any site I go to, I still can find RK chains, but I can't find any Tsubaki any more other than NOS.

Thanks for all the input guys.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 27 Jan 2019 01:48 #797668

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The 1983 Zx750 (Gpz750) uses an 18" front wheel with dual disk. That would probably be your closest choice. I think the 1984 Zx550 (Gpz550) also uses an 18" wheel, but the wheel might be narrower and the disks might not be as big.

Make sure the disks are the same diameter otherwise the pads won't ride on the proper portion of the disk.... not to mention width spacing etc.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 27 Jan 2019 07:06 #797681

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The KZ1000-P Police models had 18" wheels. 18 x 2.15 Fr & 18 x 2.50 Rr.

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 27 Jan 2019 08:39 #797691

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
I put on as close to original as I could find to the original endless EK 630 chain. (no master link) I bought the EK riveted chain off of eBay, and a cheapeo riveting tool. I bought stock ratio 15/39 aftermarket sprockets from Z1, but in hindsight wish I had looked harder for OEM sprockets. They do seem to be holding up ok. No issues so far anyway.
From my research Jeff at Z1 is the holy grail of the 530 conversions. I did not want to go with a lighter chain on this monster. :woohoo:

This chain is freakin SHOT. It was binding up so bad that I was worried about the output shaft bearing.

The aftermarket rear is a little heavier than the OEM sprocket. 39 tooth.

The emgo aftermarlet was close, but no cigar. The lock holes were too small, so I had to grind down the lock clip tabs to fit the close, but no cigar cheapie sprocket. :-(

The orignal was a EK 630 o-ring chain, so EK 630 o-ring chain went back on.

I screwed up the first try and made sure to buy the exact match master link for this chain. I am not comfortable using a combine master link on a ~100 HP motorcycle.

Cheapo riveting tool:

Hope this helps.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 27 Jan 2019 13:43 #797713

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
I went with a RK 530 X-ring set up from Z1E , got around 40,000 miles on the first set and liked it enough to go with it again.
Using PJ1 Blue Label chain lube on the new one and I like it better then the chain wax I used on the first setup, it seems to soak in better and I can wipe off the excess easier
Don't remember what sprockets they sold me but they work fine.

first setup 530 on the left

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Last edit: by bluej58.

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 07 Feb 2019 00:03 #798319

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks for all the input guys. Also sorry for my late reply. I got caught up with chain search after reading all of your recommendation, forgot to hit the "post" button!

Anyway, I have a trip coming up soon in April, so I'll see what Japan has to offer me. Have a motorcycle shop near my in-law "called Shabondama or something like that so I'll definitely give them a visit. Kinda hoping that they have some kind of 530 conversion kit, or at least recommendation.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Wheel swap and chain recommendation 07 Feb 2019 06:05 #798320

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Just in case. Are you familiar with Webike Japan? Also, ts-parts-jp & oriexoriex are a couple of eebbaayy sellers based in Japan.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: