brake pump compatibility

More
12 Jan 2019 04:36 #796568 by marksinnl
brake pump compatibility was created by marksinnl
Hello I'm new to the forum so nice to meet you all.

I recently bought a 1984 KZ550 F (LTD) and I am in the process of turning it into some sort of cafe racer/custom bike. I am however running into problems
when I try to fit the old front brake pump on the bar since I switched to a flat bar. The brake fluid reservoir is simply too big to fit. Whilst looking online I found a cheap brembo brake pump from a Ducti 848, these brake pumps have vertical brake cilinders and are thus much smaller and easier to fit on the handlebars.

My question is if the brembo brake pump would work with my old brake caliper? The Ducati has a twin brake setup whilst my KZ has a single brake caliper up front. I am worried that the total amount of fluids moved per lever pull is different for these pumps since they are for a twin brake setup. What problems could I potentially run into and what could be a good alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2019 06:15 #796574 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic brake pump compatibility
Using a master cylinder designed for a dual caliper braking system on a bike with a single caliper is not a good idea. The dual caliper master cylinder will have a 5/8" bore. The single caliper master cylinder will have a 14mm bore. Using a master cylinder with the wrong bore will make the brakes less effective than they would be if the correct bore was used. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: marksinnl

More
12 Jan 2019 06:24 #796575 by marksinnl
Replied by marksinnl on topic brake pump compatibility
Thank you ed! just the answer I was looking for.

More
12 Jan 2019 07:16 - 12 Jan 2019 07:34 #796578 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic brake pump compatibility
Single disk front brake master cylinders can be found on smaller motorcycles. note: some modern mc's don't have a mirror orifice.
I'm planning on installing a used one from a Honda CBR500R w new brake lever.
For the brake light switch I got a brake wire harness from a KZ1000P. it will be a direct swap.
I already installed ss braided brake lines quite a while ago.

Last edit: 12 Jan 2019 07:34 by martin_csr.