Drilled Rotors- 1st attempt.

• z1kzonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
05 Aug 2018 23:26 #788298 by z1kzonly
Drilled Rotors- 1st attempt. was created by z1kzonly
Finally got around to drilling a couple thick 7mm  KZ900-KZ1000 front rotors. Pain in the butt. Plus I separated the aluminum carriers. That was the hardest. 1 rotor was all corroded at the pressed rivets. But cleaned the carriers up, de-burred the casting marks, glass beaded them. drilled the 9 holes to 1/4" I am going to surface grind the discs to smooth out and make sure they are flat. One of our machinist guys who does flywheels and engine blocks for the race car, gonna do it for $40 a piece. $80 for all 4 sides. But 108  5/16" holes. takes awhile. Gave me lots of time to use my Dad's old Craftsman Drill press. It looked old when I was 5-6 yrs. old.
I love that old thing, you can not buy that quality today, no matter how much you spend. Very sentimental, lost my Dad in 1972. I always think of him when I use his tools to this day.
But they look good, Simple design. I paint the button heads black, stainless ny-loks and flat washers. Took 8 new bits, and a spray bottle of ice water,

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2018 00:39 #788301 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Drilled Rotors- 1st attempt.
Nice job but with the rotors off their carriers you could have saved a lot of time by bolting them together and drilling them both at the same time with only 54 holes and got exact mirror images in with the deal too.
I use cobalt drills for that with a bit of cutting oil.
You just have to go easy when the bit breaks through the first disc as it can sometimes snag the bit if you go too quick but you only make that mistake once.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: z1kzonly

More
08 Aug 2018 08:41 #788460 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Drilled Rotors- 1st attempt.
I had 3 rotors for my Z1-R surface ground by Tom at True Disk ( truedisk.net/ ).  He did all 3 for $135.   This was in 2015, so it may have gone up.  If your machinist doesn't come thru, I would highly recommend giving Tom a try.  The turn around was quick and the quality was 1st rate.  

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 Aug 2018 08:50 #788462 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Drilled Rotors- 1st attempt.

MDZ1rider wrote: I had 3 rotors for my Z1-R surface ground by Tom at True Disk ( truedisk.net/ ).  He did all 3 for $135.   This was in 2015, so it may have gone up.  If your machinist doesn't come thru, I would highly recommend giving Tom a try.  The turn around was quick and the quality was 1st rate.  

Truedisk's  website still says  $45.00 Dollars per rotor to resurface and a additional  $45.00 Dollars per rotor to drill  if  desired.
     Met him at a Bike show . Nice guy
           Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• z1kzonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Aug 2018 09:40 #788470 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Drilled Rotors- 1st attempt.
Hey Zed, was a learning experience! I was just playing around. I did not plan it through? I did not reverse the opposite side
direction. I was going to grind them down to the 5mm / 4.5mm and have a dual disc set. But it would look goofy to me the rotation pattern.
So now I am going to just clean the surface on both sides just to true and smooth them.
I'll probably sell them as a single disc on ebay in the future.
I have a set of Z1R's on my dust collector project. Which I countersunk the 4 bolt holes in order to use flat head machine screws

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments: