Misaligned Seat

• CCrosswait
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 May 2018 18:08 #783504 by CCrosswait
Misaligned Seat was created by CCrosswait
I recently had an upholsterer replace the foam on the seat of my KZ1100A1. When I went to reinstall the seat it didn't want to latch. It appears the catch and the reciever were not aligned. I had to apply force to the seat in order to get the two parts to align.

Now that the seat is latched I'm noticing an uneven gap between the seat and the tank. I can get a finger in on the clutch side but no on the throttle side as you can see below.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

What can I do to correct this issue? I think this is a safety risk for the seat and the tank.

2019 Indian FTR1200S
2018 Triumph Rocket 3
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100A1
1977 Yamaha RD400
1980 Honda Express II

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2018 19:08 #783506 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Misaligned Seat
Can you take the entire bike to the guy that did the work so he can see what the problem is? The cover most likely needs to come off and some foam trimming performed.

• CCrosswait
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
16 May 2018 19:30 #783509 by CCrosswait
Replied by CCrosswait on topic Misaligned Seat
Thanks, I'll see.

How would the foam cause the clasp to be misaligned? I was thinking the upholsterer might have removed the hinges or clasp to do the work but I can't tell. Any way to tell? All the bolts were tight and did not appear to have been disturbed.

2019 Indian FTR1200S
2018 Triumph Rocket 3
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100A1
1977 Yamaha RD400
1980 Honda Express II

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
16 May 2018 22:03 #783516 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Misaligned Seat
Great idea to get the whole bike to the upholsterer. If the guy has any salt, he'll fix it.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
17 May 2018 01:22 #783523 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Misaligned Seat
Sounds like forcing the seat shut could be pulling off the alignment at the front.
You need to slacken the hinge and latch bolts slightly to allow the seat to shut without force.
Slacken the bolts just enough for them to move with some slight resistance so that once the seat is in line they don't move again once you lift the seat to tighten them.
Personally i dont think the hinge adjustment issue is the upholsterers resposibility as long as the actually seat coving job is up to scratch especailly as you only took him the seat and not the whole bike as a ride in ride out service.
If i took a wheel to have a new tyre fitted i wouldn't blame the fitter if i got the wheel out of line when i re-fitted it.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• CCrosswait
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
19 May 2018 05:00 #783655 by CCrosswait
Replied by CCrosswait on topic Misaligned Seat
Thanks gents. It's not about assigning blame but more about attempting to identify probable causes for the misalignment and developing a plan to fix it. I apologize if I came off as accusitory, that was not my intent.

I'll attempt to fiddle with the hinges and clasp to see if I can fix the problem. If not then I'll pop over to the upholsterer to see if they can. They only had the seat so, as previously pointed out, they could not have gapped it properly without the bike.

2019 Indian FTR1200S
2018 Triumph Rocket 3
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100A1
1977 Yamaha RD400
1980 Honda Express II