How to remove fork plugs with forks still in the bike - '84 GPz 550

More
17 Mar 2018 18:09 #780390 by czentner
Hi guys,

My $600 dead bike is finally up, running right and almost ready to ride. Pic here of the bike in its current state: imgur.com/AuCxon4

Anyways, tonight I decided to change the fork oil since I don't know when this was last done. This may have been a big mistake.

-I drained the forks on the ground, compressing the forks to shoot the last of the oil all over my garage (ugh)
-I then installed a big fuck-off eyebolt in one of the joists in the ceiling and used a ratchet strap to pull the front tire into the air
-I detached the handlebars from the bike
-I used a 17mm allen key to remove the top plugs

Now I am looking to get the fork plug circlips out so the springs can come out. The problem is, I don't see how this is possible. I have to use pretty much all my weight on the end of a screwdriver to compress the plug 1/8" and now I have to remove the circlip??! Is there some trick I am missing?

I really don't want to have to take the forks off the bike, I just spent a bunch of time putting the fairing back on!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Mar 2018 20:53 #780397 by czentner
NVM I figured something out. I was able to get a gear puller over it to depress the plug and managed to pick the clips out after 20 mins of swearing.

More
18 Mar 2018 05:23 #780400 by JMKZHI
Assuming the fork oil is old, you'll probably need to completely disassemble the forks so that everything can be cleaned. I would want to get all of the old fork oil goop out of there. If not, the new fork oil is going to get contaminated. I prefer to go ahead & remove the forks from the bike.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
19 Mar 2018 04:23 #780437 by CoreyClough
You are half-way there. I'd recommend rebuilding the forks completely, replacing the lower bushings as well. If you can afford it, buy the Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, as they make the front end work like they are supposed to.

www.racetech.com/HTML_FILES/EMULATORGV.HTML

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
19 Mar 2018 07:03 #780444 by czentner
Hi Corey,

I am new to street bikes and this thing hasn't run in a decade. It seems to be well cared for however and only has 30,000 kms on it.

I will see how this season goes and how the bike performs, get some experience and this coming winter may take your advice and rebuild/add emulators to the forks.

Thanks!

More
20 Mar 2018 07:39 #780499 by JMKZHI
I would completely disassemble the forks so that they can be properly cleaned. Check that the fork springs are within spec. If not, you could add some spacers which might help firm them up some. Mine are well within spec, but I've considered adding some spacers to get some preload on them.