KZ550H GPZ Fork Oil Level?

More
15 Jan 2018 15:59 #777301 by doctorcat
KZ550H GPZ Fork Oil Level? was created by doctorcat
just have overhauled my 1983 GPZ550 front end with some YSS PD Fork valve/emulators.
I was filling the fork with the specs from my clymer manual but it's definitely wrong as the damn forks are totally full.

Anyway, I have a set of progressive springs on there with the spacers for preload. I'm trying to get the most out of the original front end before relegating to a modern inverted type front end.

absolutely nothing I have states the specs specifically for the gpz550 kz550H
anyway, HELP! I know LoudHVX here is like a human encyclopedia for the GPZ, so maybe he knows how much I'm supposed to put in there...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
15 Jan 2018 16:36 #777302 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic KZ550H GPZ Fork Oil Level?
For the 83-84 model

For the 85 model

Attachments:

More
16 Jan 2018 09:17 - 16 Jan 2018 09:52 #777327 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ550H GPZ Fork Oil Level?
The Kz550H1 and H2 Gpz 550's were 1982 and 1983 models in the U.S. The 84/85 Gpz550's were Zx550A1/A2 models.
Europe got a very similar bike to the Kz550H which were designated as Zr550A models with the marketing name of "Z550F". I think that is what the above specs are for.

Side Note:
The U.S. also got a Kz550F model, but the marketing name was "Spectre" or "Ltd Shaft" depending on the year. This appears in the Clymer, but should not be confused with the Zr550A model "Z550F". They are totally different bikes. (This is not relevant to the discussion at hand, but in case others may see the various designations in the image postings, I thought the disambiguation would be good.)

Regarding the Kz550H Gpz models, the Clymer manual and the factory manual agree on the volume of fork oil, but they disagree slightly on the height measurement.

The height measurement is with the fork fully extended, (I prefer having the wheel off the ground), and with the springs removed. Then you have to measure down the middle of the fork tube with a dipstick and see where the oil level is at. It needs to be 489 mm according to the factory manual. The Clymer says the oil level should be 4mm lower with a measurement of 503. (Measurements are from the top down so higher numbers means lower oil level.)

You also have to pump the fork leg to get the trapped air out of the damper plumbing. It takes several pumps with the stock fork leg. With the springs out of both legs, it's not too hard to do even with the wheel attached.

You add approximately the amount of oil the manual says, then you lift the legs up and down to get the air out, then you start making dipstick measurements. As long as the valving is submerged in oil, you don't really have to pump them anymore. You just add a little oil as necessary. It's good to have a syringe with a small hose to remove small amounts of oil in case you add too much.

With cartridge emulators, maybe the oil is not getting through to the lower portion. I don't have any experience with the emulators, so I'm not sure how it will affect the volume measurement, but the procedure should be similar and I think the height measurement would probably be unchanged.

There is quite a bit about attaching the handle bars and forks in the White Base Manual. You should probably have a copy of that. The info starts on page 367 (374 of the pdf).
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Mnls/Kz400500550...ase99924_1018_06.pdf

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2018 09:52 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton, blackumi