? for Z1R owners

More
07 Dec 2017 06:31 #775685 by jeffz
? for Z1R owners was created by jeffz
Has anyone replaced the front brake master cylinder with a handlebar mounted unit? I may have to resort to this, as my rebuilt OEM unit is not creating pressure, despite a complete rebuild.
TIA for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2017 07:02 #775688 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic ? for Z1R owners
The rebuilt OEM master cylinder may have an obstructed relief port and/or an obstructed supply port.

Or perhaps the OEM system has not yet been adequately bled.

Would first determine exactly why the rebuilt OEM m/c isn't creating pressure. And then assess action needed.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffz

More
07 Dec 2017 07:21 - 07 Dec 2017 07:23 #775693 by jeffz
Replied by jeffz on topic ? for Z1R owners
Good advice, the smaller of those ports was clogged. But the conditions still exists after the potency of both ports was assured, visually and with compressed air. The brake lever had the same weak resistance after bleeding (with a MityVac) as before bleeding. I have never seen that happen before. No improvement during the process at all. I will get another MC and bench bleed the whole system to make sure the MC is at fault. There were no leaks anywhere during bleeding.
I hope someone out there has successfully installed an MC on the handlebar of their Z1R. I'm afraid it wonlt fit under the fairing.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2017 07:23 by jeffz.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
08 Dec 2017 10:58 #775751 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic ? for Z1R owners
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

jeffz wrote: I'm afraid it won't fit under the fairing.

Yes, the fairing is the issue with the Z1R. I fairly certain you can't use a MC with an integrated reservoir. However, a lot of bikes now come with a remote reservoir mounted to the bars. It seems pretty likely that you could make that work.

Of course, you'd also need to extend the brake lines up to the bar. You could grab a standard KZ 1-to-2 splitter block and the short line, but the mounting holes for the Z1R MC are in a different location on the lower clamp than the ones for the splitter on standard KZ.

Based on stuff on Ebay, it looks like the GSXR has used a remote reservoir front MC from the early 90s.

Here is a generic one:

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeffz