Something is awry with the steering.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Nov 2017 01:32 #774607 by gordone
Something is awry with the steering. was created by gordone
When I drive my bike I must turn the steering some to the left, not munch but some...
The wheel are not "pulling" to the side, it`s feel like the steering wheel itself not bended and not stright, but as fair as can see that is not the problem.

Summary:
Bike is running fine and I have driven for long trips these summer without any problem, but I must turn the steering som degree to the left for compensating...

I have problem to see where the problem it... so I wanted to ask what experience you have with ti, and what it`s common to be the problem?

If you need more information or more clear information, maybe my English is not clear enough ? :) hehe
Just give me a replay and I will try to explain more or check up things...

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2017 04:38 - 15 Nov 2017 04:41 #774610 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Something is awry with the steering.
The problem could be a bent fork tube or bent triple tree. My front end wasn't straight either. The fork tubes tested fine, but the upper triple was bent. I checked it on a glass table. pressing down on one end, it rocked quite a bit. A replacement upper triple only moved a little when checking it on the glass.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 04:41 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gordone

More
15 Nov 2017 06:06 - 15 Nov 2017 06:06 #774614 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Something is awry with the steering.
Try disassembling the whole front end and re-assemble.

Check rear wheel alignment.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 06:06 by Kidkawie.

More
15 Nov 2017 06:15 - 15 Nov 2017 06:18 #774616 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Something is awry with the steering.
Also, the fork assembly can be twisted without anything being bent. If so, it is easy to fix.
Raise the front wheel off the ground. Insure that the top fork clamp (triple clamp) nuts are properly tightened around the fork tubes. Loosen, but DO NOT REMOVE the following--
lower fork clamp nuts
fender mounting bolts
axle clamps
axle nut

Shake the handlebars from side to side, or take hold of the front wheel and shake it from side to side. Do not be violent, shake just enough to loosen everything up.

Now re tighten to factory specification----
Axle nut
Axle clamps
lower fork clamp nuts
fender bolts

Assuming that nothing is bent, this should get everything back in alignment.

Of course, it could just be bent handlebars.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 15 Nov 2017 06:18 by TexasKZ.

More
15 Nov 2017 06:33 - 16 Nov 2017 05:12 #774619 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Something is awry with the steering.
Other checks. block the engine, then loosen all of the clamp bolts, then see if you can straighten the front end. You may need to loosen the big steering stem bolt & also the axle nut.

Block the engine & loosen the triple tree clamp bolts, then spin the fork tubes to see if they have a sticking point. this may indicate a bent fork tube. you might be able to do this one fork at a time. loosen one side, spin the tube. retighten. then do the other fork.

Lay a piece of glass on the fork tubes. It should lay flat. I've never done this.

A method from an old reply by steell that might realign the front end. Tighten/torque the top triple tree clamp bolts. Loosen the bottom triple tree clamp bolts, then do a shake down my vigorously compressing the forks by pushing down on the handlebars several times. you may need a helper to steady the motorcycle. a couple of big guys would probably have better luck doing this. I don't recall exactly what else he may have done. you may also need to loosen the big steering stem bolt & axle nut.
Last edit: 16 Nov 2017 05:12 by martin_csr.

• gordone
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 Nov 2017 09:38 #774625 by gordone
Replied by gordone on topic Something is awry with the steering.
Thank you all for feedback :)

I will disable the fork anyway, so I will look for bend parts then. Cross my fingers that the problem is only a small twist :)
I will update you with the results. It can take some months try rebuild most of the bike in the winter, but I wanted to get some more acknowledge about these problem, and now I know much more, thanks to you ! :)

Thank you again.

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine