Front tank mount location

More
05 Oct 2017 14:20 #772393 by kz650guy
Front tank mount location was created by kz650guy
I've got a 77 ltd frame I removed the ltd tank and put on a 73 z1 tank it mounted up fine but the forks are very close to hitting tank plus I am converting to a modern front end witch will probably make the problem worse my question is I noticed that the coil mounts have another spot to move the tank back another inch do z1 have the tank mounted further back
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2017 22:02 #773923 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Front tank mount location
I'm certain the mounts are in the same place on A and KZ model frames and tanks. You are right....if you mount a set of newer forks, they will hit the tank. The newer fork trees have a different offset which is more straight across whereas a Z/KZ has a more noticeable angle to them. One is where you purposely dent in the front of the tank where forks would hit. Yes....it's been done. Didn't look bad but definitely looks different. Another is to put a new travel bolt/bracket to limit the radius turn of the forks but then you lose turning ability. Another is to buy, if you can find some, some newer trees with a deeper offset machined just for your application but that can be costly. Another is to cut off stock tank mount tabs and move them back an inch, or whatever amount you need, to move tank back. But then you run into the tank sitting where front of seat usually is so you could redo seat and cut off an inch or so off front of seat pan and reupholster your seat. Unfortunately, there is no easy way of doing it. I've seen examples of all these done. I can say firsthand that losing turning radius sucks. Takes forever to turn your bike around when going that route. I'm thinking of moving tank back and shortening the seat pan.....seems to me to be the simplest way. Best way would be new trees with more offset but those I've seen are usually around $600 or so last ones I've seem. Maybe get ahold of Les Holt and see if he can make some and the cost...

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.