Options for cables when converting to lower bars

• Dirtracer115
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2017 14:43 #772117 by Dirtracer115
Alright guys my bike has been down for a month now so i decided it was time to ask some people with a lot more experience than I on motorcycles. I have an 1981 kz1100. My father gave it too me and I finally got it on the road and have been riding it steadily this season but decided to start swapping out some of the smaller worn out parts on it. I had a set of 4 in lower bars, new controls, and grips to put on it so i started there. As expected i needed to replace the brake line so i upgraded it to a stainless steel line with a slightly larger bore master cyclinder. The cables on the other hand are what I'm having trouble with. Initially i thought i would just shorten them myself but its looking like i cant do it with my lack of tools and make it look clean so i abandoned that idea to try to find assembled cables i could just bolt on. for the Clutch cable it looks like i just need one 4.5 in shorter or so. For the throttle oddly enough with my new throttle assembly it looks like the stock length will be really close but i cant have the curved tube on the end like the OEM piece comes with.
For reference what i have been able to find is my throttle cable is 42" cable length and the factory clutch is 52.5"

So my question is if a variety of cables are available for these bikes where can i find them? Where/what would i look for to find a throttle cable without the 90 degree curve on the end like it looks like a lot of the OEM pieces have? Many people on here have lower bars so im hoping someone has worked through this without modifying their stock cables and are willing to share their sources. Any help is appreciated and I'll answer any questions. its been almost THIRTY days since I've ridden and I'm running out of riding weather.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2017 15:12 #772120 by Nessism
What about cables from a factory KZ bike that came with lower bars? GPz? ZR1?

I used GPz cables on my 750E bike and they fit perfectly.

More
01 Oct 2017 16:02 - 02 Oct 2017 05:23 #772132 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Options for cables when converting to lower bars
I would connect the old cables at one end, route them so that they look right, then measure the overage. then measure the old cables & figure out the needed lengths of new. Z1Enterprises.com usually lists the measurements, including the amount of slack. A little too much slack is probably okay, but if there's not enough slack, a new cable may not work. don't ask how I know. doh.

Then as Nessism mentioned, check to see if any other models have the same or nearly the same measurements of what you need.

ps: while waiting for the parts to come in, you could ride the bike with the old cables installed.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2017 05:23 by martin_csr.

• Dirtracer115
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2017 19:07 #772154 by Dirtracer115
Replied by Dirtracer115 on topic Options for cables when converting to lower bars
unfortunately i had to cut the barrel off my throttle to get the steel tube off. with the steel tube off it seems like length wise it would work well with my aftermarket throttle assembly length wise but i haven't been able to find a factory cable that didn't have some sort of angled tube on the throttle side. So right now i don't have a throttle cable at all. I will look into the sportier models too see if they came with a throttle cable that might work. On the clutch side the factory cable is wwwaaayyyy too long and i couldn't get it to route in a way it didn't bind at full turn. I believe i have found clutch cables from other models that might work I'm just worried they wont function properly. The kz cable has a threaded adjustment where it attaches to the engine so with my limited knowledge of motorcycles i don't know how common or universal that setup is with other bikes.

while typing this reply it occurred to me i may be able to route the clutch cable back towards the right side of the bike then bring it back to get it too work for now. It wont be pretty but if it works it will hold me over until winter when i will just get a custom cable made. If that works ill just be hunting for a throttle cable.

Appreciate the ideas guys ill keep looking.

More
02 Oct 2017 05:48 - 02 Oct 2017 05:52 #772171 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Options for cables when converting to lower bars
Get cables with the same type of ends & barrel adjuster. Some clutch cables have a protective spring over the lower section.
Tubing is handy to figure out the length. route it the same as a cable & use masking tape or zip ties to hold one end in place while you position it. If you don't know the needed slack measurements, Z1Enterprises.com may have it for the stock cables.

Then search for KZ1100 clutch cable at Z1Enterprises.com. if nothing matches, then search KZ1000 clutch cable. then KZ750. etc etc etc until you find one or two that seem to match your needs. Do the same for the throttle cables. Recheck your measurements, then place an order. You should be able to quickly eliminate the overlong cables, especially those for Ltd/CSR models.
OEM are usually preferable. some are still available at Z1Ent or the Kaw dealer. New oem or NOS may be listed on eebbaayy.

Replacing cables can be kind of a pain. After kind of guessing on the 1st clutch cable, I carefully took some measurements before wasting any more money. Don't overlook the slack measurement --- a little too much is probably okay as the adjusters can take up the excess slack, but if too short the cable may not fit.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2017 05:52 by martin_csr.

More
02 Oct 2017 13:18 #772190 by davido
Shortening the cables is not a big job. I did my throttle cable,no problem and it works fine. I still have to do my clutch cable though.
The only tools you need are a pair of snips to cut the core,a hacksaw to cut the sleeve and a soldering iron to solder a new nipple on the end. You should be able to get a nipple from your local bike shop. Be sure to bring the old one along as they come in many different sizes. Length and diameter.

I had problems with finding a new speedo cable. Going from a ZXR wheel up to a KZ clock. I emailed these people;
www.z-power.co.uk/
and explained the problem and they sorted me out.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

• Dirtracer115
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Oct 2017 18:15 #772903 by Dirtracer115
Replied by Dirtracer115 on topic Options for cables when converting to lower bars
I wanted to add that i have gotten my bike back on the road. I swear i checked Z1 a couple times for the clutch cable but on the mobile site some how missed the recommended cables paragraph for shorter or longer cables so i made that a lot harder than it had to be lol. The throttle cable turned out to be a pain. I will def replace it with a more traditional assembly down the road where the cables run into the bar perpendicularly because the parallel setup i bought has NO cable support off the shelf. i ended up having to borrow some tools so i could make a couple attempts at soldering a new barrel. my second attempt seems to be holding so i will see how it goes. Appreciate the help guys. If you all hadn't suggested it i might not have went back and checked Z1 on my desktop lol

BTW for a KZ1100 with superbike bars a KZ400 clutch cable almost fits perfectly for anyone else who may be looking. Once i determine if the bars are permanent (love them so far) getting a 1-2 in shorter version of it would be perfect since i had to take a little more than 50% of my adjustment out to take up the slack

More
21 Oct 2017 23:13 #773439 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Options for cables when converting to lower bars
I use a clutch cable from a Z1R from Z1 Ent and it works very well. My KZ 1000 has superbike bars on it and it's perfect for me.
hth

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)