Fork issues. NEED HELP. Kz440 ltd

More
02 Sep 2017 01:09 #770180 by Smallzphoto
Fork issues. NEED HELP. Kz440 ltd was created by Smallzphoto
So I was attempting to disassemble my forks and the bottom Allen bolt was in so tight that it stripped when I tried to undo it.

I shot it with some PB blaster and tried to extract it with a screw extractor from Harbor Frieght.

......it's snapped in 5 seconds.

Now I have a broken bit stuck in the screw that was stuck in the hard to reach location at the bottom of the fork lower.

I tried to drill another pilot hole in the extractor but it's hardened steel and wore down my bit immediately. Ugh.

The extractor broke off at an angle.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Also..... turns out my upper fork tubes are slightly bent. I was gonna try to find a machine shop that could possibly straighten them but now with this bolt fiasco I'm not sure if I need to cut my losses and just get a replacement set.

I'm on an extremely tight budget for this build and a new (used) set of forks would put me way over what my budget will allow :/

Any advice? You guys are always such a great resource!!!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2017 06:50 #770187 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Fork issues. NEED HELP. Kz440 ltd
I would bet real money that the screw was not stripped. What almost always happens when trying to remove that screw is that the damper rod inside the fork begins to turn. To finish removal at that point, you need a tool to stop the rod from turning. On some forks, a pointy broomstick will do. The best way to get the screw out is to use an impact wrench.
As you see, screw extractors can be far more trouble than the are worth. That broken off piece is harder than any drill bits you are likely to have. At this point, I would take it to a reputable machine shop for extraction, or start looking for replacements. I have never had to straighten fork tubes, but my guess is that you can find a decent set of replacement forks for less than getting the ones you have back on the road. As much as I hate not fixing a thing, there are times when replacement really is the better option.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
02 Sep 2017 07:53 #770190 by Smallzphoto
Replied by Smallzphoto on topic Fork issues. NEED HELP. Kz440 ltd
It wasn't the threads on the bolt that stripped it was the hole in the top. It turned from a hex into a nice round hole. The bolt wouldn't budge at all. Even after on blaster.

I see where you were going though with the rotation of the inner cylinder. That was the first thing i thought on the other fork tube when it started spinning but I wedged a pvc pipe down there and got it to free up reletively easily.

This one is a different story though....

I've seen forks on eBay for about $30 for each side (for rusty ones) up to $120 for a decent looking set.
Still a bit high for my budget though.....

More
02 Sep 2017 08:12 #770191 by Smallzphoto
Are the forks interchangeable between the kz440 ltd and other kz440 models? Or do I need to search for specifically LTD forks?

More
02 Sep 2017 08:28 - 02 Sep 2017 08:39 #770192 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Fork issues. NEED HELP. Kz440 ltd
You'll probably need 440 Ltd forks, but check the diagrams at Partzilla. Good thing is that there were more Ltds than standard models.

Did you use a good allen wrench? It's best to do the job with a good quality hardened socket or brake caliper socket. Heat also helps, using a propane torch.

I don't trust the pb blaster wow-bang-buy-me labeling. It didn't do as good as Liquid Wrench penetrating spray lubricant in a test that's floating around the internet. Kroil is supposed to be best. There is now a wd40-penetrant that they claim is better than pb blaster. They don't compare it to LW, so the LW is probably better. Whatever product is used, you have to give it time to work, overnight or longer. I've had good luck with LW. Also, their silicone spray lubricant is a good product. I use it to clean just about everything on the motorcycle.
Last edit: 02 Sep 2017 08:39 by martin_csr.

More
03 Oct 2017 17:31 #772286 by Smallzphoto
I found a good deal on some '81 forks on ebay, rebuilt em, and installed em :) Also, with a bit of polishing, they look brand new now!!!