New old guy with an old bike.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
08 Sep 2017 00:08 - 08 Sep 2017 00:11 #770591 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic New old guy with an old bike.

I bought my 1978 KZ 650 C2 brandy new myself although it's in pieces in the barn and hasn't been started in thirty years. It wouldn't surprise me if that motor started right up.

And donĀ“t forget to post some pics of your 1978 KZ 650 C2 in your barn, surprise us!!!
It looks like a hidden treasure.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2017 00:11 by Scirocco.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2017 05:08 #770633 by Togoster
Replied by Togoster on topic New old guy with an old bike.
It's not, when I bought the BMW I wanted to rebuild the 650 into a little racer. I did it but that was near 30 years ago. I did find a pic just recently, actually two taken with an film camera.
I liked it. Had clip ons and rear sets, a Kerker and pods. Ran well.

The one pic was with me on the bike smiling in my leathers. For some reason that escapes me, I took it apart again. I'm silly like that.

Happy to say tho that 30 years later, my leathers still fit and when I am on the Geep, I'm smiling still.

It's really good to be back in the saddle.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

More
09 Sep 2017 08:11 #770638 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New old guy with an old bike.
Our passion for these old bikes often leads us to have similar passion for particular motor oil, air filters, tires, et cetera.
Truth be told, a modern tire from any major manufacturer is going to be better than what the factory installed so many years ago. Even the worst of them (I will refrain from mentioning Dunlop here) are decent tires. The newest generation of sport tires are amazingly sticky, and have a performance envelope far greater than these old flexi-framed, tiny fork-tubed KZs can use.
That being said, I have been well pleased with offerings from Metzelr, Pirelli, and Avon.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
09 Sep 2017 14:01 #770647 by Togoster
I truly appreciate the opinions whether they are biased or not. I think it just feels good being part of the community of motorcycling again, whether it's here online or on the road with the hand signals we give our passing brethren and sisters.

This was my 1978 kz650 before the seat was made. Can't find the other but it's somewhere. I haven't thrown much out from the looks of my barn that I am cleaning out.

Advances in everything are becoming evident whether it's with helmet safety or horsepower per cc or antilock brakes.

Heh, even had the metzlers on this bike it seems.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Attachments:

More
13 Sep 2017 19:13 #770866 by Togoster
Today was the day to take my test for the road skills portion to attain my full on motorcycle license in Vermont. You know the drill, low speed balance and braking basically. Good thing I went prepared and I'm happy to once again join the ranks officially.

As much as I like to criticize bureaucratic measures, I have to laud what is likely the standard for this country with regards to motorcycle safety. From the manual to the skills test I can see the merit in all of it.

I took the long way home to celebrate.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

More
16 Sep 2017 17:28 #771056 by Kawboy74
Replied by Kawboy74 on topic New old guy with an old bike.
Hello Togoster, nice to have you around. Where in Vermont are you located? I have been going to Stowe to ski for years and love the state. A year ago drove my 750GPX from here into the Adirondaks and across Lake Champlain (by Ferry) to Burlington. I must say that driving from Waterbury south to Rutland on Rte100 was epic. I have Pirelli sport Demons on it as was recommended by Cycle magazine when the bike was released and they work very well for me. Unfortunately the front is a 16" and they are one of the few matching sets still available. I want to do the same trip next year, possibly in the spring this time heading farther east into New Hampshire.
Good luck with the tires.
David

1974 Z1A As original as I could get it
'88 ZX750R braided lines, mostly original
KZ1000 project on the bench
Burlington,Ontario,Canada

More
16 Sep 2017 18:19 #771065 by Togoster
Thanks David, I'm located between Mt Snow and Stratton Mnt right off Rte 100. I'm actually planning on making the trip north to the border taking rte 100 up and possibly another way back. Fall foliage is in swing so ain't no better time. As you know rt 100 is a mecca for not only motorcyclists, but car clubs, cyclists, photographers and likely anybody that is willing to travel a bit to go back in time.

And we get them all, the packs of 50 or more riders and the solo day trippers of which I'm usually of the latter.

Rte 100 is regarded as one of the top ten scenic drives in the US but I've never had the desire to see it in it's entirety until now when I can not only see it but experience being a part of it.

If you are so inclined we can meet up for coffee or a bite to eat.

And again, thanks to all for being so welcoming.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

More
17 Sep 2017 17:36 #771112 by Kawboy74
I would love to hook up in that area but I am about 8 hours away and with work it can't happen this year. I am making plans for the spring and that direction is at the top of my list. I did about 250 miles today with my son and had a great time but now feeling wiped, getting too old for the long days but boy will I sleep well.
Stay in touch and enjoy the ride.
David

More
19 Sep 2017 17:01 #771265 by Togoster
Do you ride the 900?
I fired up a 1978 KZ1000 LTD that had been sitting in my barn today after so many years. It started with the obligatory confetti out the tailpipe of sunflower seed shells and other such surprises that aren't really a surprise anymore.

Been mulling over skipping a winter and heading south in an ad hoc reenactment of "Then Came Bronson" sans Harley.

I've got the GPz and the Ltd or a 1976 KZ 900 that I could take with me. It's hard to decide. I like having a kickstarter and I also like points ignition in some circumstances.

Certainly, the older, unfaired bikes would be truer to the theme of the show.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD

More
21 Sep 2017 16:49 #771391 by Kawboy74
Ride the 900 all the time, but not in the rain. Lately I have had to ride it exclusively as my son is selling his bikes and wants to ride my Ninja all the time. I just sold my 78 LTD about 6 weeks ago to a great guy in Ann Arbor Michigan and am missing it. Unfortunately I can't insure three bikes nor ride them all enough to justify the expense. I have a project going also so time and money are always the concern.
I guess I could have worse troubles.
ride on.
David

More
12 Dec 2017 21:32 - 12 Dec 2017 21:33 #775948 by Togoster
Curious as to how much your LTD fetched David if you don't mind my asking. Was it restored to original? I have this picture in my mind of what I want. Saw one on michaelsmotorcycles.com that was just black with superbike bars and a kerker. That bike sold, I thought I'd give him a call tomorrow and see if he would tell me a bit about the bike, what it sold for and permission to post the pic here. It's a sweet bike.

Get your motor running!

84 GPZ750
81 R100RS
83 GSX750ES
80 KZ1000 LTD
Last edit: 12 Dec 2017 21:33 by Togoster.