Handlebar accessories position pins

More
06 Jul 2017 10:33 #766231 by Shdwdrgn
Handlebar accessories position pins was created by Shdwdrgn
I got a new set of handlebars to replace the original bent ones, but of course they don't have any holes drilled for the items that clamp on the bars. So I have two options... I can drill holes in the new handlebars and just hope I like the position... or I can grind down those pins and not worry about the holes, allowing me to move everything around until I find good positions for them (which is my preferred option).

So my question here -- are the clamp screws secure enough to hold the throttle and switches in place, or are those little pins actually required? Since my previous Yamaha didn't have these pins, I would assume the screws are good enough, but I wanted to make sure before I do anything permanent.

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Jul 2017 11:19 #766234 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
I drilled my bars for the pins. Depending on your bars and hand controls they may or may not clamp tight. It wasn't overly difficult to figure out where to drill. The brake master and clutch pivot don't have pins so you don't need to worry about the angle of the levers relative to where you drill.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

More
06 Jul 2017 13:22 #766240 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
I'm more worried about the switch clusters on each side, which do have pins. At this point in the build I haven't even settled on what angle I want the handlebars to sit at, which makes it impossible to also set the angle for the switches. I know on my last bike I moved things around for the first year until I got comfortable with the bike and where I wanted the switches to sit at, and this bike has a completely different feel to it so I can't easily just guess at where I'm going to want things to sit.

I thought I had read here that other people usually cut off those pins, but maybe not?

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
06 Jul 2017 13:27 #766243 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
I wouldn't cut off the pins.

If you drill the holes where you think the switches would work for you you'll probably find they feel fine even if you end up moving the handlebars a little one way or the other. If you later find they really feel uncomfortable you can always cut the pins later if the switch positions bother you. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Jul 2017 13:33 #766244 by Shdwdrgn
Hmm ok, that makes sense. So any hints about where exactly things are supposed to be placed? For example on the throttle, should the outside of the plastic line up with the outer edge of the handlebars, or should it be slid in/out a little further? Once I have that side set, I can just measure the other side for similar placement.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
06 Jul 2017 14:30 #766251 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
Do you still have the old bars that can be used as a reference for the holes? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Jul 2017 14:35 #766252 by Shdwdrgn
I was actually just thinking about that, and yes I think I do still have them. Will have to take a look when I get home.

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
06 Jul 2017 16:13 #766267 by retterath
Replied by retterath on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
I use a piece of painter's tape on the bars, put the controls where you want them, then snug the screws a bit. You now have a dimple in the tape where the pins should go.

More
07 Jul 2017 05:25 - 07 Jul 2017 05:25 #766295 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
Good idea on the painter's tape. AAA+++ .... Also, if you drill a hole wrong, you could drill it larger, re-drill a new hole or replace the bars again. Emgo handlebars are good quality & inexpensive, so it wouldn't be that big of a mistake if you mess up.
Last edit: 07 Jul 2017 05:25 by martin_csr.

More
07 Jul 2017 07:26 #766304 by Shdwdrgn
Yeah I agree, I like that idea with the tape. Martin, I'm not sure what brand I have now, I think they were off of Amazon, probably pretty cheap. And who knows, maybe I'll decide I don't like these handlebars anyway, since I've never tried this style before. I was trying to avoid the swept-back style like the LTD has (my previous Yamaha came back even further) but I had to guess on the overall height.

All right, so I'll figure out locations, pull the bars, and drill some holes this weekend. Thanks folks!

1981 KZ1000-JK1

More
07 Jul 2017 09:11 #766309 by TwoCam
Replied by TwoCam on topic Handlebar accessories position pins
I had a set of controls that the pins were ground off......guess where they are now?? the trash. just carefully mark the bars and drill the index holes. otherwise the throttle will not clamp tight enough and always want to move on the bar, or you will strip the screws/break the control trying to make it stay put.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1