Lowering front end

More
03 Jul 2017 18:52 #765999 by TwoCam
Lowering front end was created by TwoCam
Lowering your ft suspension is ok as long as you lower the back too. Here are some pics of what I did about 15 years ago. I bought 3" lowering kit for the ft forks..sure it looked wicked cool......BUT it liked the handeling!!!!! BIG time........ suspension bottomed out real bad......I had just over 1" of suspension travel...... not cool..so now that I'm getting the Green Monster back on the road...... having been sitting since 2013..... not by my choice either. So one mistake I did..... was lower her too much..... and also thought if I lowered it 3"....... I should cut the springs down too!!!! DOUBLE NEGITIVE!!!!!!!!)....... I just today took the forks apart....... took one spacer and cut it in half on my lathe..so now she is only 1.5" lower........ perfect with my 3" over swingarm project........ now I hope!!!!!! In my stuff....... I have some stock, unmolested springs.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2017 05:51 #766021 by TwoCam
Replied by TwoCam on topic Lowering front end
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2017 09:04 - 04 Jul 2017 09:08 #766034 by TwoCam
Replied by TwoCam on topic Lowering front end
The lower fork assembly shows the 3" spacer comparison to the shortened spacer. Which is now 1.5". Spacer goes on the piston rod then the rebound spring goes on. Opposite of how it looks right now. Then everything goes right back the way it was disassembled. Shorten the spring the same amount that your spacer is. Fill with correct amount of oil and your done. The whole job could be done on the bike. Leave the tubes in the triple tree. Now would be a good time to check the steering stem bearings.... or update to tapered roller bearings if it hasn't been done. They are a good investment. I would not recommend going any lower than 1.5". The ride quality goes right down the drain.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2017 09:08 by TwoCam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1