1976 900B Front Wheel Install

More
18 Jun 2017 20:31 #764735 by Kaw76er
1976 900B Front Wheel Install was created by Kaw76er
Howdy guys,

I took the front wheel off my 1976 900B to change the fender. I have a manual with all the torque specs, but I'm unsure how far to turn the axle bolt nuts in on each side. There isn't much room between the front tire and fender, so I've kind of just centered the tire to the fender. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2017 20:24 #764825 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 1976 900B Front Wheel Install
There is no centering really, except of course to more or less center the axle. So all you have to do is make sure the axle is centered, then tighten the setup to spec, and even that doesn't matter much, just hold one nut, tighten the other, then if the wheel turns freely you have done it correctly, if not, you have the speedo drive on wrong. Mount to the forks, and job done. The axle can stick out 1/4" on one side and be recessed 1/4" on the other and it doesn't matter, but just for correct looks center the axle in the 2 side nuts before tightening.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Kaw76er

More
19 Jun 2017 20:40 #764829 by Kaw76er
Replied by Kaw76er on topic 1976 900B Front Wheel Install
Thanks for the info!! I played around with it today and it spins freely, so I believe I've got it. There isn't much room between the tire and fender on either side. The darn brakes are a bear to bleed!! I took both calipers apart and cleaned them before installing the new pads, now I'm struggling to get the air out. I gave up for the night, but will plug away at it tomorrow. Thanks again!!