Anyone ever convert a KZ1000 Shaft Frame To Wide?

• z1kzonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
15 May 2017 11:07 #761981 by z1kzonly
Anyone ever build a big tire or Dragbike style Frame out of a 79-80 KZ1000E shaft drive frame?
Use a wide chromoly swingarm? I know of Tom Sudman from Ohio, has had customers using shaft frames to build bikes.
I'd like to see one. I have a 12" wide double clubfoot, I'd have to cut up and butcher. Weld it in solid.
Just deciding to ruin a nice sellable swing arm?

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2017 11:32 #761982 by les holt
When I've done full drag bike back halves, we build all new, my very first one I did use double club arm I had built the year before he decided to make it a fully welded chassis. If I were approached to do one in a shaft chassis, I'd strongly suggest against the already built arm, it may even cost you just as much to use it vs. building all new.

Just my 2 cents worth

Les Holt

• z1kzonly
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
22 May 2017 08:57 #762473 by z1kzonly
Hi Les! Just sent you a congrats on your Business Venture!
Good Luck!
I was just building a roller for a Pro-Street Touring Cruiser T-T bike. Light duty, not for the Drag Strip.
I was putting a 8.5" x 18" billet Victory MC wheel with a 280 tire. Frame is getting a rake now for the last 6 months! (LOL) you know that deal with Friends! But I built the back with 20mm axle block sliders as the stock hub had 20mm. Opened up an old FL / XL Harley 530 sprocket to fit the hub same bolt pattern. Believe it or not Victory/ Polaris/Indian don't make a sprocket chain conversion from belt drive.
Just going to weld it up solid, cut the front , machine the shaft drive OEM swingarm bearing sliders in to this arm. Cut and make an offset later when this is mounted.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments: