Breaking side stand.

More
03 May 2017 02:23 #761031 by Mk2Rookie
Breaking side stand. was created by Mk2Rookie
Hi,
The side stand almost broke of my KZ750 Twin, not the stand it self but the mounting on the frame. The frame was ripped open, there probably was som rusting but still, the frame cracked all the way along the mounting. I don't have the center stand on and I run it as kickstart only, am i putting to much stress through the stand when I kickstart it? It runs well so I really have put everything I got in it to start it when hot. What to do, to make a better side stand solution? Have anybody had the same problem?

Simon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2017 04:47 #761038 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Breaking side stand.

Mk2Rookie wrote: Hi,
.................am i putting to much stress through the stand when I kickstart it? ...............

Yes, if you have the bike sitting on the side stand when you start the bike. The side stand is only engineered to hold the weight of the bike, not bike + rider or bike being kick started. I suggest you straddle the bike and hold it upright with the stand retracted when you kick start the engine. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 May 2017 05:27 - 03 May 2017 05:30 #761044 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Breaking side stand.
What year is the bike? The 82-on 750-Twin frames were made to accept an in-frame cable lock & the entry point for the cable can allow water inside the frame. If not used, the opening should be plugged. The plug is still available from the dealer.
Last edit: 03 May 2017 05:30 by martin_csr.

More
03 May 2017 06:18 #761047 by Mk2Rookie
Replied by Mk2Rookie on topic Breaking side stand.
It's a '78 B3, I think the rust is just from the previous owner leaving it outside in the danish (sh!t) weather for a couple of years.

I cannot start the bike of the stand, I have to jump on it when hot, otherwise it kicks back... Hard.

More
03 May 2017 07:55 #761057 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Breaking side stand.
In that case I strongly suggest you put the center stand back on the bike. Kick starting when the bike is on the center stand is not a problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
03 May 2017 08:11 #761060 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Breaking side stand.
Make sure the ignition is not too far advanced and that the advancer stays retracted during kick starting. That might help reduce the kickback. Still... the 750 twin is no easy beast to kick start... probably the most difficult of the Kz's.