Anyone use SealMate to clean fork seals?

More
01 May 2017 10:10 - 01 May 2017 10:16 #760906 by Conspiracy
Anyone use SealMate to clean fork seals? was created by Conspiracy
I bought a sealmate to see if I can clean the fork seals before deciding to repacing them. I lifted up the dust boots and tried to slide the sealmate down into the fork but something was blocking it. Any ideas?

The search function shows that several people have used it but I do not see anyone who said anything about not being able to get the tool down into the fork. Still looking for ideas.

Novice rider
1976 KZ900
Last edit: 01 May 2017 10:16 by Conspiracy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2017 13:32 #760922 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Anyone use SealMate to clean fork seals?
I've used the technique on Inverted dirt bike forks. I use a google tear off or any thin plastic sheet cut into a strip with a slight hook on the end. Wrap it around the fork tube and work it under the seal as far as possible, Then compress the fork slightly. Run it around the diameter of the fork tube and pull it out using the hook part to extract any trapped dirt. It works if the leak is caused by a grain of sand or dirt stuck in the seal. This is a common on dirt bikes. I've never seen it used for conventional street bike forks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Conspiracy

More
01 May 2017 15:08 #760925 by Conspiracy
Replied by Conspiracy on topic Anyone use SealMate to clean fork seals?
Thanks MDZ.
Hoping someone can share some more experience. Again, I lifted the dust cover and tried to insert the sealmate but it was not going in. I am thinking theres another collar there but not sure I want to start prying on things I don't fully understand.

Novice rider
1976 KZ900

More
01 May 2017 20:01 #760940 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Anyone use SealMate to clean fork seals?

Conspiracy wrote: Thanks MDZ.
Hoping someone can share some more experience. Again, I lifted the dust cover and tried to insert the sealmate but it was not going in. I am thinking theres another collar there but not sure I want to start prying on things I don't fully understand.

It isn't the easiest thing to slip in behind the seal, but really works great to clear away particles that are holding the seal away from the fork, which lets fork oil get past. Once the dirt is cleaned out of there, it should seal again, provided the seal rubber isn't defective or damaged.
It takes some finesse to get past the initial fork-seal flap. Don't use anything but the Seal-Mate to pry the seal enough to get past, even if it crumples the tip. Once in position, you have to keep it inserted about a half-inch or so behind the seal lip while working it around the fork a couple times. I squeeze it tight against the fork with my hand wrapped around it kinda like holding a shovel handle. It may be a struggle to keep it aligned with the fork, but it gets easier as you go around a couple times.

I've been able to avoid three fork seal changes so far, thanks to that silly little thing. :)

1982 KZ1100-A2

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
02 May 2017 13:13 #760996 by KZQ
I think those SealMates are the greatest. I've never actually seen it bring any dirt out of the seal. I maintain a small fleet of training bikes (20) and running that Seal Mate around the fork has saved a lot of dollars on seal replacement.
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
03 May 2017 09:01 - 03 May 2017 09:02 #761063 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Anyone use SealMate to clean fork seals?
Some forks, like the 550, has a separate bushing under the seal. Maybe you are hitting up against that? You should be able to get at least 1/4" to 3/8" in before hitting the bushing.

Many KZ's don't have the bushing under the seal, but there may still be a washer under the seal.

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 May 2017 09:02 by loudhvx.