tire still road worthy?

More
29 Apr 2017 07:00 #760607 by ric812
Replied by ric812 on topic tire still road worthy?
Thanks for the advice on the runner and electrical. I have even checking the rubber on everything. I have been starting at the front and taking things apart. The front caliper rubber is still soft, even the piston seals, which really surprised me . I will.search for the electrical info, because I already have a stuck starter. Thank goodness for kickstart. Would it be recommemded to rebiild the carbs? The bike cranks up and runs smootjly at idle without the choke after warm up. I have not had a chance to open it up on the road. The only thing I have seen is the overflow putting out a small out of gas on one carb.

Also thanks for the tire info and experiences. I will probably go with the shinko 230, they have good reviews everywhere I looked.

1982 Kawasaki KZ750M Twin CSR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2017 08:10 - 29 Apr 2017 08:16 #760612 by ric812
I am happy to report that all the rubber on and around the engine appears to still be good. It is still soft and springs back. Just one question on the carb inlet rubber ehere it meets the carb. Should there be a clamp on it? The air tube between the airbox and the carb. I tried attaching a picture but no luck.

Last edit: 29 Apr 2017 08:16 by ric812.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
29 Apr 2017 09:09 #760617 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic tire still road worthy?
I think they came with a spring type clamp for lack of a better term but I don't have them anymore and don't use anything, but I have fresher rubber intakes and they fit snug.
I wipe some Armour-all on a lot of the old rubber parts during the off season maintenance and it seems to help

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
29 Apr 2017 11:38 #760628 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic tire still road worthy?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
29 Apr 2017 11:48 #760631 by TexasKZ

More
29 Apr 2017 19:18 #760672 by JKams
Replied by JKams on topic tire still road worthy?
If your options are Dunlop or Shinko, go with the latter, particularly the Shinko 230.

As for rebuilding the carbs, I probably would not do that until the off season (if you have one), especially if the bike seems to run okay. That said, I would definitely try to figure out why one of your carbs is overflowing. It could just be the needle valve, or maybe the drain valve screw on the bowl. But if that one carb overflows when the bike is not running and the fuel valve is apparently closed, you _really_ need to get that fixed, as this would suggest your fuel valve is leaking (and that your other carbs' overflows are clogged). Google "hydrolock caused broken connecting rod" for more on the dangers of a leaking fuel valve. Rather than remove and rebuild the carbs, here's what I would do right now to your fuel system:
--Remove and clean both the inside of the fuel tank and the fuel valve (aka fuel petcock). Be sure to clean the vent hole on the cap as well. On older bikes, especially ones that have been in storage, the inside of the tank can corrode, and this corrosion will flake off and sink to the bottom of the tank, eventually clogging the flow of fuel through the fuel valve and possibly even interfering with the closure of the valve. This can lead to a maddening situation where you have fuel in the tank, the fuel valve on, a good battery, but a no-start condition. You'll think the problem is an undetectable ignition fault...until you check the actual flow through the fuel valve, which will be insufficient due to the rust clog.
-- Reinstall the fuel valve and check for leak free fuel valve operation. It needs to flow when on and not flow at all when off. If you want a very quick, satisfaction-inducing project, get a fuel valve rebuild kit and rebuild your fuel valve.
--Install a clear fuel filter between the tank and the carbs. They are cheap and you can get them from your local auto parts store or favorite MC part house; it's a universal item. If you suspect your engine isn't running due to a fuel flow problem, a look at the fuel filter will tell you if fuel is flowing though it. Plus, you'll keep rust and other crap out of your carbs. Carry a spare fuel filter just in case.
--Drain the fuel from the bowls and pull the fuel bowls from each of the carbs. Clean out any varnish, rust debris, etc.. Clean the overflow tubes and the seats of the drain screws. Replace the rubber drain hoses; it will cost like $4. Try to save the fuel bowl gasket so you can reuse it.
--With the carb bowls off, check the needle valves, starting with the carb that's overflowing. It may be that the needle valve on that carb has gone bad. In that case, replace all four needle valves, as the other three may be close behind. If it's just that there's a chunk of crap caught between the needle and its seat, and the needle looks good otherwise, just clean and replace. Also, remove and check the float in the overflowing carb. Is there liquid sloshing around in it? It's supposed to have only air in it. However, the seams on the floats sometimes fail, and when they do the float fills with gasoline. which keeps it from floating. As a consequence, the needle valve never gets never pushed up far enough to close off the fuel flow, which in turn causes an overflow situation even if everything else is working correctly (it should not overflow when the fuel valve on the tank is turned off).

I suggest the foregoing in part because it's simply maintenance you should do. But I also suggest it, because you said you hadn't had a chance to take the bike out yet and open her up. Youi'll want to do the foregoing before heading out on that full power test ride, because, if you don't, you may mis-diagnose the cause of a problem. For example, if you take her out and she's sluggish or surges at wide open throttle, maybe you have the wrong size main jets or a clogged main jet. Or, maybe the jet size is fine, and the problem is that you aren't getting enough fuel to the carbs because the fuel valve is half blocked with rust flakes from the inside of the tank. Making sure you have a clean, full supply of fuel to the carbs is step one in determining what, if any, work needs to be done to them.

I didn't say it before, but congrats on your new bike, and welcome to the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, ric812

More
30 Apr 2017 14:52 #760786 by ric812
Thank you Kjams for the very detailed explanation. I will follow your recommendations. I forgot to put in the post that the tank has been cleaned and sealed, the fuel valve is removed and the bike was running off an auxiliary fuel tank.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Apr 2017 15:59 #760797 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic tire still road worthy?
I'm going to be replacing the Shinko 100/90-19 front tire with a 110/90-19 this week. It's been on the bike two weeks but it's too small for my Z1. It would be perfect for a smaller bike. I'll post it in my ad for 1/2 the price I paid for it when I get it off.
Steve

More
30 Apr 2017 17:14 #760806 by ric812
Sounds good Sweet. Just pm me when you get ready to sell it.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
30 Apr 2017 17:15 #760807 by SWest

More
01 May 2017 04:40 #760854 by TexasKZ

SWest wrote: What bike do you have?
Steve

Probably the one in his signature line :whistle:

More
01 May 2017 05:44 #760865 by ric812
it is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750M Twin CSR

The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest