Weird steering issue - 1976 KZ400

• Babe Tomahawk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2017 09:25 #758903 by Babe Tomahawk
Weird steering issue - 1976 KZ400 was created by Babe Tomahawk
Enough snow has melted in my neck of the woods that I was finally able to get my KZ400 project bike out for a shakedown run around the neighborhood this weekend (my first ride on the bike I should note, bought is as a rolling basket case). I noticed a long time ago as it sat in the garage that it has an interesting detent (best was I can describe it) at the very center most steering position, as the front wheel is dead straight. It almost seemed to me that it's by design since it's at the dead center position, but now that I've ridden it.. I really can't imagine it being engineered that way. It takes noticeable effort to get the steering out of the dead center position and when riding, it's a bit unnerving.

Is this something anyone has come across before? I thought that if it were a bad set of stem bearings the steering head would be loose, or there would be a more random coarseness or a drag to the steering. I checked the steering lock mechanism on the lower triple, and it doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

Any ideas or suggestions you might have are greatly appreciated!

NOTE: I've searched this forum as well as google and have come up with zilch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2017 09:45 #758904 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Weird steering issue - 1976 KZ400
That's a common problem. It is the result of damage known as "brinelling" see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling .

There is no repair for the problem other than replacing the bearings. You should replace the steering stem bearings with tapered roller bearings. The folks at www.allballsracing.com should be able to tell you exactly which ones you need for your bike. I installed their tapered roller bearings in my KZ650-C1 years ago and have found them to be vastly superior to the original ball bearings that came in my bike's steering stem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
10 Apr 2017 09:46 #758905 by Sprengstoff
Replied by Sprengstoff on topic Weird steering issue - 1976 KZ400
That really sounds like a steering bearing issue. If it feels like a kink in the dead center, or anywhere else then its the steering head bearings.

Take the handlebars and slightly go from left to right. If you feel a dead spot or kink or however to describe it then its your steering stem bearings. If you feel any play by rocking it back and forwards, for example against a wall or when you jack up the front then its your steering stem bearings also.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
10 Apr 2017 09:46 - 10 Apr 2017 09:47 #758906 by diggerdanh
Replied by diggerdanh on topic Weird steering issue - 1976 KZ400
I have read that when the steering head bearings are worn they can feel "notchy" especially at center when it has spent most of its life. I have never experienced it myself so I cannot explain the whys and hows.

The good news is that it is a pretty simple fix and a set of tapered roller bearing replacements are fairly inexpensive.

Those guys ^^^ beat me to it.
Last edit: 10 Apr 2017 09:47 by diggerdanh.

• Babe Tomahawk
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Apr 2017 09:50 #758908 by Babe Tomahawk
Replied by Babe Tomahawk on topic Weird steering issue - 1976 KZ400
Wow - you guys are the best! Thanks for the quick replies! I'll hit the all balls website and order a set of tapered bearings. I'll report back after I complete the bearing swap.

Thanks again!!!