sticks

More
11 Mar 2017 19:02 #756452 by dur65geo
sticks was created by dur65geo
'78 kz650. I changed both wheel bearings. Both tires. Bled the brakes. Still, after it's hot the wheels seem to tighten up in rotation. In other words, there's resistance. Rolling to a stop in neutral, I barely have to touch the brakes to stop in full, wheels do it for me. When it's cold it's different, it feels much freer in coasting and pushing the bike by hand.

Is this normal?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2017 19:30 #756454 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic sticks
No. That is not at all normal. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Mar 2017 06:52 #756491 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic sticks
There is a good chance you have problems with the brakes. I advise against riding it until you are certain.
In the bottom if the master cylinder ther are a couple of tiny holes that allow fluid to come back into the reservoir when the brake lever or pedal is released. If they are clogged with a tiny speck of dirt or other crud, pressure will build up in the system every time the brakes are applied, but the pressure will not release properly. Slowly, as the bike sits quietly in the garage, the pressure will normalize and all will seem well.
The symptoms might also be caused by sludge and corrosion in the calipers. Both problems are often present in a neglected brake system.

The only way to positively insure that the brakes can save your life when you need them to is to completely disassemble the systems, clean all the parts until they are spotless, replace all the seals and such, including the flexible hoses, and reassemble using new, high quality fluid.
Pay close attention to the condition inside the calipers and master cylinders. If there is serious pitting, they may need to be replaced.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: dur65geo

More
12 Mar 2017 16:02 #756554 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic sticks

dur65geo wrote: '78 kz650. I changed both wheel bearings. Both tires. Bled the brakes. Still, after it's hot the wheels seem to tighten up in rotation. In other words, there's resistance. Rolling to a stop in neutral, I barely have to touch the brakes to stop in full, wheels do it for me. When it's cold it's different, it feels much freer in coasting and pushing the bike by hand.

Is this normal?

Get the wheels off the ground and spin the wheels... then take the calipers off one wheel at a time and do it again. You should be able to tell easily if it's the brakes grabbing or a poor bearing installation.
I'm betting if the calipers are hard to slide off the rotors, the brakes are messed up. If they slide right off.... bearing issue.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
The following user(s) said Thank You: dur65geo