Bleeding front brakes ?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
28 Feb 2017 04:44 #755420 by kzdcw
Bleeding front brakes ? was created by kzdcw
Has anyone ever used one of these ? Purchased some New SS Lines for my 77' KZ1000A and like to see if there's a better way to bleed brakes.

77' KZ1000A
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2017 06:48 #755436 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Bleeding front brakes ?
Just my .02, but I''ve tried some of the suction type bleeding assists, and have never been particulary thrilled. The more expensive ones some of my well set up mechanic friends have do a great job, but are a bit of an investment. Not that $20 is much, but is IS just a plastic syringe with some rubber tubes.

If you aren't going to be doing a whole heap of vehicles, I have to say I really like my speed bleeders.

www.speedbleeder.com/

No affiliation. I just change my brake fluid every year, and this makes is a much faster job. Practically no mess, and for the cost, I am happy.

Cheers!
Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
28 Feb 2017 07:13 - 28 Feb 2017 07:15 #755437 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Bleeding front brakes ?
I haven't used that brand, but I have used a syringe / tube to force fluid back thru the system via the bleeder valve. Z1R's have a remote M/C and are notoriously difficult to bleed. I spent days trying to get good lever pressure. Forcing fluid back thru the bleeder valve finally did the trick. Watch your M/C reservoir level. You'll be filling it from the bottom and it's easy to overflow. I started with a fill from the bottle of brake fluid, then refilled the syringe from the reservoir. Keep going until there's no more bubbles coming up in the M/C reservoir.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2017 07:15 by MDZ1rider. Reason: typo correction

More
28 Feb 2017 08:06 #755443 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bleeding front brakes ?
If you can find a shop or friend with a brake pressure bleeder you can make an adapter and use it to do the brakes. I have a number of vehicles, so years ago my wife bought me the one below as a Christmas present. The adapter isn't difficult to make, but if you decide to do it post a question here and I'll give you some details on how to ensure the cap's vent doesn't cause leaks.

The pressure bleeder makes the job very easy. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
28 Feb 2017 09:27 - 01 Mar 2017 04:53 #755447 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Bleeding front brakes ?
When I installed new brake lines, I refilled from the bottom up. I left the mc banjo bolt disconnected until fluid flowed. At the bleeder I shoved together a couple sizes of tubing & connected a funnel. My bike has a single disk front brake, so the method is easy. With a dual disk, I guess I'd fill one side first, connect that brake line banjo, add a little more, then fill the other side until fluid flowed at the mc banjo. or maybe fill both sides at the same time. ???
Last edit: 01 Mar 2017 04:53 by martin_csr.