brake calipers

• jackstack101
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Feb 2017 14:27 #754687 by jackstack101
brake calipers was created by jackstack101
i have a 1981 kz750 and i need new front brake calipers. ive only seen rebuild kits for the bike.
Has any one done a caliper rebuild on this model or one similar to it? if so how did it go.
If any one has any information on where i could find new ones that would really be what im looking for
-thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Feb 2017 21:27 #754724 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic brake calipers
I did some of those calipers. Easy enough to rebuild. Pop out the pistons using compressed air and clean out the grunge. Use OEM Kawasaki replacement parts, not aftermarket. The pistons are expensive so hopefully yours are not all pitted up like mine were. You best tear down the master and replace the brake lines at the same time if you haven't already done so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
22 Feb 2017 18:43 #754917 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic brake calipers
As Steve said not hard to rebuild. If you want new, then prime and paint your old ones to look new. Typically they don't go bad unless maybe they were under water for a year or so.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

More
23 Feb 2017 07:36 #754966 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic brake calipers
As Nessism said, rebuilding calipers is pretty straight forward. There's not much to them besides a piston and seal. However, use caution when pushing the pistons out with compressed air. "Pop" is a good description. Keep your fingers clear. When the piston lets loose, it literally pops out. Depending upon how much PSI you used, there's a good amount of force behind it.
Why do say you need new Calipers...leaking... frozen? Fluid leak could be a simple as a seal. Frozen could be built up crude or corrosion. You won't know until you pull them apart.

More
23 Feb 2017 10:12 #754988 by diggerdanh
Replied by diggerdanh on topic brake calipers

MDZ1rider wrote: "Pop" is a good description. Keep your fingers clear. When the piston lets loose, it literally pops out. Depending upon how much PSI you used, there's a good amount of force behind it.

I forgot about this last spring when I was cleaning up a caliper that would not release. The piston shot out about 12-15 feet. Luckily there was nothing in its flight path. I probably got really lucky that day.

More
24 Feb 2017 19:52 #755148 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic brake calipers

Nessism wrote: I did some of those calipers. Easy enough to rebuild. Pop out the pistons using compressed air and clean out the grunge. Use OEM Kawasaki replacement parts, not aftermarket. The pistons are expensive so hopefully yours are not all pitted up like mine were. You best tear down the master and replace the brake lines at the same time if you haven't already done so.

I always wrap them in a rag ,and keep your fingers clear.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• jackstack101
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Mar 2017 19:23 #755727 by jackstack101
Replied by jackstack101 on topic brake calipers
thank you for all of your suggestions. i was told by a good friend to just take the calipers apart and clean them, put it back together and see if it helps sure enough, seals wer in good shape there was just some gunk causing an obstruction. they are working better than ever.

thanks for the rag idea before popping the piston, that could have gone wrong in more ways than one!

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Mar 2017 19:33 #755728 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic brake calipers
You really should replace the rubber lines if your bike has the originals. They get a scummy scale on the inside which will contaminate your fresh brake fluid. Plus if you get teflon/stainless lines the brake lever feel will improve noticeably.

More
04 Mar 2017 22:37 #755821 by azman857
Replied by azman857 on topic brake calipers
I went to stainless steel lines on my XS650. WOW, what a difference! Way better braking control. Firmer.

I don't have a plan and I'm sticken' to it! '77 KZ 650 / 750 GPz custom project in progress