• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
16 Jan 2017 17:59 #752329 by aquaholic
SWING ARM QUESTIONS was created by aquaholic
Hello fellow bikers,
I am old and new to this bike rebuild stuff so bear with me. I did a search on here but am still not sure what is correct. bike is a 1981 KZ1000J1 model. Complete tear down and attacked the swing arm today. I removed the outer seals with no problem and destroyed the needle bearings while removing. While looking up parts I see there is supposed to be a short spacer behind the bearing. I do have the long one between the bearings but every picture I see when looking for new bearings is showing me another short spacer behind the needle bearings. What are the correct parts I need for this ? I'm have mechanical abilities but am a bit baffled. I'm on a budget and rebuilding this for a buddies son whose dad was my good friend. Any help would be appreciated. Have a great day and THANK YOU in advance. Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2017 07:09 - 17 Jan 2017 07:49 #752348 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic SWING ARM QUESTIONS
I'm not familiar with your bike. In the diagram at Partzilla there is a long swing arm collar & 2 short spacers (sleeves).
Partzilla has a photo of the spacer/sleeve with a ruler next to it. You could compare that to yours to see if your 1 long spacer is the same length as 2 short ones. ??? I saw needle bearing kits on eebbaayy that appear to include 2 spacers & 2 oil seals.

If your swing arm has 1 long spacer, then I'm guessing either someone swapped spacers or yours just happened to come from the factory that way. Or maybe someone swapped swing arms? I looked around to see if there was another 81-on 1000 or 1100 model with a long spacer but the several models I checked had the 2 short ones.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2017 07:49 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

More
17 Jan 2017 07:10 #752349 by stratman
Replied by stratman on topic SWING ARM QUESTIONS
Have you checked the diagram on Partzilla?
www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...ABSORBERS/parts.html

It looks like you might be talking about #42036 on the diagram which is part number 42036-1040.

Barry

1981 KZ650 CSR
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
17 Jan 2017 16:49 #752376 by aquaholic
Replied by aquaholic on topic SWING ARM QUESTIONS
Thanks for your fast replies. I am going to have to do some measuring tomorrow and see whats up. There definitely is one long spacer in there and it must have come that way as I got it from the original owner. SSOOO I will see what tomorrow brings and update you when I have some answers. Thanks again, jon

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
20 Jan 2017 16:40 #752572 by aquaholic
OK fellow riders here is what I found and what had me confused,
I did a lot of measuring and what I found was this. The "COLLAR, P/N 92027" that I have is correct and goes in between the "END BEARINGS P/N 92046". The "SPACERS, P/N 42036" (this is where I was confused by the diagram), actually fits PARTIALLY INSIDE the bearings and does EXTEND THUR THE INSIDE of the end "SEALS, P/N 90249" and rides up against the swing arm pivot rod. The diagram on Partzilla is correct but deceiving as it looks like the spacers are internal of the bearings and act as a bearing seat when actually they fit ride inside of the bearings and protrude thru the end seals. Maybe I was reading too much into it but that's how it goes. Hope this clears up the issue for someone else. I do appreciate your help. Be well and thank you again for taking the time to help. Jon

More
20 Jan 2017 17:02 - 20 Jan 2017 17:04 #752574 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic SWING ARM QUESTIONS
Interesting. So the "swing arm sleeves" marked #42036 in the diagram below serve as inner races to the needle bearings and prevent the bearings from riding directly on the swing arm pivot shaft. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Jan 2017 17:04 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, bluej58, daveo

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
10 Feb 2017 19:03 #754080 by aquaholic
That is correct 650ed. Diagram is very confusing. Be well, Jon