Question about fork gaiters and floorboards.

More
23 Oct 2016 16:30 #746044 by newjack213
I am about to replace the fork seals on my 79 KZ1000ST and while everything is apart I wanted to add fork gaiters. I like the way they look with the Vetter fairing. I know several of the Police models came with fork gaiters and was wondering which year model I should look at for a direct swap? I'd also like to add floorboards and a heel toe shifter from a Police model as well and was wondering if there would be a year range to look at for a direct fitment or if some fabricating might be necessary?

Any ideas or nudges in the right direction will be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2016 05:57 - 24 Oct 2016 06:30 #746072 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Question about fork gaiters and floorboards.
Fork gaiters. From the ohio cafe racers fork tube size conversion chart the 1000E fork tubes are 40mm, but the 1000C & P police models are 38mm, as are the 1100D Spectre & I think the 1100 Ltd Shaft are also 38mm.

Assuming the above sizes are correct, you'd need gaiters that are 40mm ID at the top & then you'd need to measure your fork lowers to figure out the bottom ID. Note: some riders don't like fork gaiters as they can trap moisture.

Floorboards. I really don't know, but maybe the stuff from the 78-81 KZ1000-C police models as the floorboard brackets are bolted to the frame. The later 82-2005 1000P models have the floorboard mounting brackets welded-on as part of the frame. From the cross-refrence at Partzilla, all of the police bikes have the same floorboard step assys.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2016 06:30 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newjack213

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.